"Ruapehu - Where Adventure Begins" Whakapapa by wkcsmt
Whakapapa Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 31 photos
The most striking topographical and geological features of the North Island are the central North Island volcanoes, Tongariro, Ruapehu and Ngauruhoe which together form the Tongariro World Heritage Park. It represents an entirely remarkable experience: consisting of snow-capped volcanoes, crater and alpine lakes, pristine rain forest, sparkling rivers, dramatic waterfalls and astonishing native flora and fauna, and NZ's 2 largest ski resorts (Whakapapa & Turoa).
Mt Ruapehu (2797m) is the highest mountain in the North Island. Mt Ngauruhoe (2291m) is an almost symmetrical cone which formed from a vent in Mt Tongariro (1968 m).
There is plenty of accommodation in the Tongariro World Heritage Park, from backpackers to one of New Zealand's grandest hotels - The Grand Chateau. You are sure to find comfortable accommodation to suit your taste and budget.
**This photo is taken from my previous ski trip... The Grand Chateau is on the left @ the foot of the mountain.
This photo was taken from Mt Ruapehu (coming down from Whakapapa Skifield)... Mt Tongariro is on the left/rear of Mt Ngauruhoe.
Did you know that Mt Ngauruhoe was digitally altered to make it appear as Mt Doom in The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
It is situated in a park environment by a small stream just 2 minutes walk to town centre. Accommodation options varies... more travel advice
This is NZ's largest ski and snowboard area offering a huge variety of terrain for all levels of skiing and... more travel advice
wkcsmt's Related Pages
Whakapapa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ruapehu - Where Adventure Begins"
- "Tongariro National Park - Skiing at Whakapapa"
- "New Zealand Skiing"
- "Whakapapa on Mt Ruapehu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Whakapapa
- Hotels in Whakapapa
- Transportation in Whakapapa
- Warnings and Dangers in Whakapapa
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Whakapapa
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Whakapapa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Whakapapa
Photos in WhakapapaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Wellington Intro, 54 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 22 reviews, 20 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 15 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chicago Intro, 20 reviews, 19 photos
- Milford Sound Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nelson Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rotorua Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Jose Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues