"Sunny Nelson" Top 5 Page for this destination Nelson by wkcsmt
Nelson Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 189 photos
Nelson, the 2nd oldest city & sunniest in New Zealand, is a region rich in contemporary arts & crafts. There are more than 350 working artists and craftspeople living in Nelson, including traditional & contemporary Maori artists. Their work is usually inspired by the region’s exceptionally beautiful geography - coastal, forest and valley landscapes provide places to wander and dream. There are plenty of opportunities around to see potters, painters, sculptors, weavers and ceramicists at work. The key shopping areas in the city is @ Trafalgar, Halifax, Bridge, Hardy & Rutherford Streets.
Nelson is also a place where Maori stories interweave with European settlement.
Nelson is also a key wine-producing area & home to several award-winning vineyards. Most of the wineries are en route to Richmond & Motueka, with several open to visitors. The popular Taste Nelson Festival in February celebrates locally produced food and beverages.
Here's some of the wineries to visit:
Neudorf Vineyards on Neudorf Road, Upper Moutere (www.neudorf.co.nz)
Kahurangi Estate on Sunrise Road, Upper Moutere (www.kahurangiwine.com)
Don’t miss Tahunanui Beach, Rabbit Island or Kaiteriteri Beach... these are ideal for swimming & sightseeing.
Endulge yourself in one Nelson’s quality restaurants (seafood a specialty) or sample the café culture...
Walk along Trafalgar Street to the Cathedral and see the dazzling stained glass windows inside.
If you happen to be in town over the weekend, Saturday Market in Montgomery Square is great way to experience the creativity of Nelson's community... hundreds of stalls with fruit & vegetables, arts & crafts, and gourmet food.
- In a nutshell:A place to have fun & be creative...
This is one of NZ's most famous stores, just 2 minutes from Richmond. Apparently, it's an award winning store...so I... more travel advice
Experience the creative spirit of the region in the heart of the city. Treat yourself to the hundred stalls of fresh... more travel advice
wkcsmt's Related Pages
Nelson Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sunny Nelson"
- "Nelson - New Zealand's most sunny city"
- "On the Way to Nelson"
- "Nelson - Sunniest City in NZ"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nelson
- Hotels in Nelson
- Transportation in Nelson
- Nightlife in Nelson
- Restaurants in Nelson
- Shopping in Nelson
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nelson
- 16 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Nelson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nelson
Photos in NelsonSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Wellington Intro, 54 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 22 reviews, 20 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 15 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chicago Intro, 20 reviews, 19 photos
- Milford Sound Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nelson Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rotorua Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Jose Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues