"Lava Lava Everywhere" Goma by sebblit7
Goma Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 21 photos
I first visited this town in 1996, shortly thereafter Laurent Kabila staged his uprising from this town and when I went back in the town was like something out of a Mad Max movie. All the buildings had been ransacked, there was paperwork strewn all over the streets and there was money, paper notes, everywhere. The economy had been destroyed and the bank notes were worthless. I remember a dirty little child shuffling through the notes with his arms outstretched, hands cupped together begging me for "Biskweets" in reference to the UN high protein biscuits that are fed to the malnourished.
Surrounded by 7 active volcanoes there's plenty of lava rock, in fact most of the town is built out of the rock.
In a short space of time the town has restored itself to it's former bustling glory.
I did not stay here, I had a coke while looking out onto Lake Kivu and the view was really great. There was a small... more travel advice
Okay so not my favourite thing, but something you need to know before visiting Goma. The following US Dollar bills are... more travel advice
sebblit7's Related Pages
Goma Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A volcano changed Goma and the life of thousands"
- "Lava Lava Everywhere"
- "Where the earth spills fire..."
- "A Day in Eastern Congo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goma
- Hotels in Goma
- Transportation in Goma
- Restaurants in Goma
- Shopping in Goma
- Warnings and Dangers in Goma
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goma
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Goma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goma
Photos in GomaSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Cape Town Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos
- Khartoum Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Harare Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Juba Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Johannesburg Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolwezi Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Nyala Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Soweto Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Kinshasa 7 reviews, 1 photo
- Goma Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.