"It's a mining town" Lubumbashi by sebblit7
Lubumbashi Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 13 photos
If you drive about 2 hours North you'll get to a town called Likasi about 15 minutes north of Likasi you'll get to the now closed Shinkolobwe Mine. This is the mine where the Uranium came from that was used in the atom bombs that were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Although the mine is supposed to be closed there are still artisans extracting ore for copper and Cobalt. If you give the guards a few dollars they'll prolly let you enter the site.
You'll also need to clear your visit to the area with the authorities in Likasi.
A UN team that visited the area a few years back found Radiation levels are higher than acceptable.
Stayed one night. US$120/night no hot water. Can do better. If you like jarring noisy local and cover music played too... more travel advice
sebblit7's Related Pages
Lubumbashi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lubumbashi, capitale of Copper (and other mining)"
- "DRC's Second largest City"
- "It's a mining town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lubumbashi
- Hotels in Lubumbashi
- Nightlife in Lubumbashi
- Restaurants in Lubumbashi
- Shopping in Lubumbashi
- Warnings and Dangers in Lubumbashi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lubumbashi
- 2 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Lubumbashi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lubumbashi
Top 10 Pages
- Cape Town Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos
- Khartoum Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Harare Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Juba Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Johannesburg Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolwezi Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Nyala Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Kinshasa 7 reviews, 1 photo
- Top 5 Page for this destination Soweto Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Goma Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.