"Steve's Recommendations for Africa Travel" sebblit7's Profile
As a journalist working in Africa for a major 1st world public broadcaster I often have more difficulty finding the basics like car hire, local fixers and hotel accommodation, than I do finding the story. What I'm trying to do here is to list as many African places that I have been to for future reference for myself as well as for the benefit of anyone else. Some of the places are Capital cities, easy to find on the net, others are more difficult. Goma for instance, or Nyala. It's mainly related to newsgathering 'business travel' so many of the pointers may not apply to people wanting to go off the beaten track for cheap. But if any of this info is useful to you please reciprocate by adding your own info to VT.com, and myself, that way we can all benefit. Please remember that things change and while I do try to keep on top of it all, if you see anything that's outdated (phone numbers, etc.) please send me a message and I'll sort it out. If you're a local Journalist, Camera Operator, Producer, Fixer, Driver, etc, living anywhere in Africa, please get in touch, who knows, you may be invaluable when a story breaks.
Wherever you're headed, Good Luck.
Most of my pages are divided into three sections:
1. The Situation - Whatever the newsworthy coverage was that got me there in the first place.
2. The Checklist - What you need to know before you go.
3. The Contacts - Important numbers for journo's and tourists: cars, hotels, and spokespeople for the various agencies.
Look at my tips for each page for more detailed accounts of hotels/car hire/etc.
If having read some of these pages either as a local where I wrote about your own hometown, or as a journo that found some of my info usefull, please get in touch.
The idea is for all of us to be informed
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 100 Reviews
- 162 Photos
- 16 Countries
- 32 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- Wrote a Review Land Cruiser Prado in Good Nick in Juba Transportation
- updated a Juba Travel Page "Getting to Juba, S. Sudan info for Journalists"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cheap and tasty Chinese"
- Commented on one of sebblit7's Nairobi travel pages
- Posted in Travel Kruger National Park Forum "RE: Safety and Security"
updated their Profile Page "Steve's Recommendations for Africa Travel"
Top 10 Pages
- Cape Town Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos
- Khartoum Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Harare Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Juba Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Johannesburg Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolwezi Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Nyala Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Soweto Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Kinshasa 7 reviews, 1 photo
- Goma Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.
- Paris Hotels
- 22507 Reviews - 55088 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23331 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15667 Reviews - 31359 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 897 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3730 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3100 Reviews - 5884 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10316 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12025 Reviews - 26772 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos