"Island Life" Top 5 Page for this destination Boracay Island by sirenna
Boracay Island Travel Guide: 1,682 reviews and 4,902 photos
"If we go on as we are, we will destroy in the next century everything that the poets have been singing about for the past two thousand years."
-- Fred Bodsworth.
I've been living here in Boracay for a few years now, and I'd like to share some of my experiences of life on the island. Unfortunately many of the guide-books and websites contain inacurate information about Boracay, so I'll try to be as up-to-date as possible. I originally came here to visit some friends for a few months, but fell in love with the place (and a local guy) and ended up moving here permanantly!
Take a boat trip around the island and you'll discover many beautiful beaches. Bring a picnic and spend the day lazing in the sunshine, swimming, snorkeling or just enjoying the peace and quiet. There's a common misconception that Boracay is spoilt and over-developed, and that is certainly true of White Beach, but as you can see from this picture, there are still plenty of unspoilt places left.
Boracay Island is about 7 K's long, and shaped a bit like a bone. It's narrowest point in the centre. It boasts many beautiful beaches, of which White Beach is the most popular (and developed).
The most peaceful part of White Beach is at the southern end, in the area known as Angol.
To learn some useful Filipino words and phrases, click here
This section will include news and information about all sorts of topics in Boracay, from parties and sporting events to conservation issues and problems.
Boracay - Environment
"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment."
I recently found a quote on the internet that sums up the situation -
"...just as the foolish and greedy king killed the goose that laid the golden egg thinking he would get a basket of eggs, he ended up with nothing. That's the reality in Boracay and many other environmental wonderlands. The greedy developers can't wait to get the profits and in the process destroy the source of revenue in their mad stampede for riches. That is how blind they are." - Father Shay Cullen SSC
"The Rape of Paradise"
"Boracay Needs Master Plan" (Philippine Headline News Online).
Boracay's road to ruin
Eco-Tourism in the Philippines
"Crying Over Boracay" - Manila Times.
The Battle for Boracay - The Sassy Lawyer's Journal
Sept 17 2005:
"As far as the Mayor is concerned he allowed last week complete destruction of the native vegetation and trees on the Ayala land near Fridays. There is not a single tree left there! Unbelievable! They even allowed the hill to be bulldozed and flattened! What other concrete monstrosity/bunker are they going to build there? This is the beginning of the north beach destruction and in a few years it will be as bad as station 2 and 3! "
Quoted from Trip Adviser Forum
Life Goes On in paradise
Wanderlust and Other Temptations - Blog
Boracay the Island - Ocean Republic
Boracay Tourist.com - helpful tips and info
Amusing Photos from the Philippines
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
www.gov.ph - This is the official site of the Republic of the Philippines ? an online starting point to the Philippine government, its agencies, officials and the most important news and information in this country.
* 3rd week of January - Ati-Atihan festival in Kalibo.
* 23 - 28 January 2006 - International Funboard Cup (windsurfing).
- Pros:Boracay is a lovely laid back place that really seems to have something for everyone - beautiful beaches, lively night-life, good food and plenty of activities.
- Cons:Unfortunately, the local authorities don't seem to be regulating the development here at all - there are new hotels and buildings springing up all over the place!
- In a nutshell:Come and see this beautiful island now, because in a few years it will probably be spoilt.
This nice new restaurant serves tasty, crunchy beer battered Tilapia fish and chips in a bright, modern, air-conditioned... more travel advice
Red Coconut has a tasty and varied menu. While it is probably most famous for the delicious pizzas baked in their... more travel advice
- See All BORACAY Please, Not "Bora"!
- See All Spicy!
- See All Friendly Hotel, Great Rates
- See All Beach Erosion
- See All Take Nothing But Photos!
- See All Overcrowding
sirenna's Related Pages
Boracay Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Island Life"
- "Mabuhay, Welcome to Boracay!"
- "Yielding To The Call Of The Islands"
- "Boracay Barefootin'"
- "Rediscovering Boracay"
- "Paradise in my backyard"
- "yes, it really looks like this!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Boracay Island
- Hotels in Boracay Island
- Transportation in Boracay Island
- Nightlife in Boracay Island
- Restaurants in Boracay Island
- Shopping in Boracay Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Boracay Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Boracay Island
- 157 Reviews
- 378 Photos
- 1,661 Forum posts
- 134 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Boracay Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Boracay Island
- Posted in Travel Boracay Island Forum "Re: Watersports in Boracay in July"
- Commented on the Boracay Island travel guide
- Commented on one of planxty's Boracay Island travel pages
- Wrote a Review Tasty Fish and Chips in Boracay Island Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tasty Fish and Chips"
- updated a Boracay Island Travel Page "Island Life"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boracay Island Intro, 157 reviews, 402 photos, 3 travelogues
- Romblon Island Intro, 25 reviews, 30 photos
- Malay Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Manila Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kalibo Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- Carabao Island Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Province of Romblon Intro, 1 review, 20 photos
- Rayleigh Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Kilkenny Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
- Pandan Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos