Kalibo Local Custom Tips by sirenna Top 5 Page for this destination
Kalibo Local Customs: 3 reviews and 12 photos
Last time I joined the Ati-Atihan, I spent a hectic couple of days partying in the streets with friends. Luckily I had a place to stay, as all hotels were fully booked and toilets were scarce. Many people just stay up all night, or crash out wherever they fall.
If you are headed back to Boracay Island, be sure to leave plenty of time to get there, as there will be crowds of people all going in the same direction.
Ati-Atihan is a full on assault on the senses - the mixture of fabulous, flambouyant costumes and heady drum beats can leave you feeling quite exhausted. All the most eccentric characters come out to play - expect to see the Lizard Man, numerous drag queens and a mixture of party people of all nationalities.
Here are some more images from the colourful Ati-Atihan festival
The small town of Kalibo, Aklan, is most famous for it's yearly Ati-Atihan parade. This is a week long traditional festival celebrated on the 3rd week of January in honour of the 'Santa Nino' (holy infant Jesus). Hoards of people dressed in fabulous, flambouyant costumes dance through the streets, faces blackened with soot, and marching musicians play drums and xylaphones.
The highlight of the festival occurs on the last day, when groups representing different tribes compete. Costumes, including the head-dress, are made of abaca fibers, shells, feathers, bamboo, plant leaves, cogon, sugar cane flowers, beads, trinkets and an assortment of pieces of glass, metals and plastics.
Much drinking, dancing and merrymaking goes on in the streets, and you'll be offered drinks on every street corner. Bring your camera, but take good care of it as there is always a risk of theft in a large crowd.
Hotels are usually booked up months in advance for the Ati-Atihan, so many people choose to stay on Boracay Island, which is an hour and a half away by bus or taxi.
More Reviews (6)
sirenna's Related Pages
Kalibo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mabuhay, Welcome to Kalibo!"
- "Home of the Ati-Atihan Festival."
- "Literally a flying visit."
- "Kalibo, Province of Aklan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kalibo
- Hotels in Kalibo
- Transportation in Kalibo
- Nightlife in Kalibo
- Restaurants in Kalibo
- Shopping in Kalibo
- See All...
Explore the World
- Mahesana Hotels
- Hakone Hotels
- Megamendung Hotels
- Passignano sul Trasimeno Hotels
- Port Clinton
- Parish of Saint Catherine
Badges & Stats in Kalibo
- 8 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Kalibo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kalibo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boracay Island Intro, 157 reviews, 402 photos, 3 travelogues
- Romblon Island Intro, 25 reviews, 30 photos
- Malay Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Manila Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kalibo Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- Carabao Island Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Province of Romblon Intro, 1 review, 20 photos
- Rayleigh Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Kilkenny Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
- Pandan Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (10)
Latest Kalibo hotel reviews
- Sampaguita Gardens
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 7, 2013