"Now this is getting more authentic" Top 5 Page for this destination Pakse by Yaletown

Pakse Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 174 photos

The Road to Pakse

My wife's parents at one time lived in Pakse so they suggested we should drive there. We have ourselves 2 drivers and 2 vans for all 10 of us plus our lugguage so we went for it. It's a pretty long 9 hour drive but I, for one, was mesmorized by the landscapes along the way. Hand made huts with no more than 1 room in the middle of rice fields, just an amazing view and sight. We stopped in a couple villages on the way to eat, we had Pho again at a cost of about $10 for 10 people, not bad. With a little convincing our van driver stopped at a gas station for ice cream as well (we bought him one too). In one village we met this little girl, such a cutie, she was very shy but we eventually convinced her to take some candy from us and to look at her picture in our digital camera. It's amazing to see the excitement you can get from a little candy, something we take for granted. Anyhow after a short break we headed again towards Pakse. One note for you if you choose to go by vehicle to Pakse, watch our for animals, we almost hit some water buffalo, and we did kill a chicken during our trip (there was quite a crunch as the drivers don't exactly go slow here).

Pakse was one of the most interesting experiences of all my travels. I found it to be much less touristy than Vientiane or Luang Prabang. You can see the difference between Pakse and Luang Prabang immediately, and you can also notice the lack of tourist hotels, etc. This is more what I'm looking for, it's fantastic and I feel like I'm actually seeing the real Laos. Our hotel at 500 baht a night is clean but there are no perks, just what you would expect. I truly enjoyed Pakse and I would love to go back.

• Last visit to Pakse: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated May 28, 2006

• Lunaina's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2008 at 8:05 AM

Nice to read your Pakse tips... very much looking forward to seeing this part of Laos!! Must be an experience!!

• londonbabe's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2007 at 9:57 AM

Hello - what's the name of the first hotel, the pink (?) one.

Yaletown

“Go to Laos, around the world, then Laos again”

Badges & Stats in Pakse