"A Beautiful Bay and Lots of History in Portobelo" Portobelo by peggydaly
Portobelo Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 14 photos
We took the Panama Canal Rail from PC to Colon and then caught a bus here. A long afternoon was a perfect amt of time to spend before we caught a bus back to Colon and the train back to PC.
Portobelo has a friendly, diverse population. There are 2 spanish forts in town and one reachable by boat across the bay. There is a small museum in the old customs house. We arrived and had a late breakfast at Restaurante Arith, right were the bus let us off.
Easy walk to the 2 forts and to the mirador which allows a nice pic of the bay. There are some decent crafts near the center of town for sale by the Kuna.
We were there on a day with no festivals or other events, but i would love to see a congo some time. We did go see The Black Christ, in the church. Pimpin' purple robes. really very cool.
lunch again at Arithe, good octopus, and then poked around and people watched. Really enjoyed the laid back day.
Sir Francis Drake is said to be buried at sea in this bay. If you go dig up some history of the place. It's fascinating
A quaint church with lots of swallows flying in and out. See the black christ and leave a donation. In October there is... more travel advice
peggydaly's Related Pages
Portobelo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Beautiful Bay and Lots of History in Portobelo"
- "Explorers and Pirates, welcome!"
- "Easy day trip from Panama City"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Portobelo
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Portobelo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portobelo
Photos in PortobeloSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Playa del Carmen Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Panamá City Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Bocas del Toro Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Valladolid Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Montezuma Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Panama Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Ensenada Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Sonoma Intro, 6 reviews, 3 photos
- Cobá Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Portobelo Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
No friends yet.