"Where to Next?" peggydaly's Profile

It's All Abouth the Exploration!

Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth. --Watts

I come to California by way of Texas. I love my new stompin' grounds! But you know what they say about not being able to take the country out of the girl :). I think the open places I grew up with, combined with the open minds I surround myself with now, have served me well.

After visiting my sister in Africa in the early 90's, I got the travel bug for good (I got a few other bugs that fortunately didn't last so long :). And the rest is history.....

ps - this pic is at Gruene Hall in TX and YES that IS a Shiner Bock in my hand :)

Oakland is THERE!

Of Oakland, Gertrude Stein once said "There is no there there". I could not disagree more. Lake Merritt, at Oakland's center, is flush with wildlife (it was the first officially designated "wildlife sanctuary" in the country). It has recovered well after a few tough decades!

There is an incredibly diverse group of people calling Oakland home. Different cultures, races and interests abound!

Here is a pic that was taken at this years Ethiopian new years celebration at Lake Merritt park.

I read a nice travel quote that I try to apply to every aspect of life: "If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears." Cheers!!

VINO!

"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it." How convenient that I live so close to the fabulous wine country of California!

My personal favorite is the Russian River Valley. My favorite winery to visit there is Hop Kiln. Best winery picnic spot is at Lambert Bridge. It has a lovely view of the valley. One can stop by the river for a refreshing swim, too.

The Russian River wineries are more laid back, generally do not charge for tastings (nor does one often have to elbo in to the tasting table). How can one go wrong visiting a valley who's motto is "We don't spit, we swallow"!!??

This pic was taken outside of the Rabbit Ridge winery after I fit 9 cases of wine in my Mini Cooper and still had room for me and 2 passengers.

• Intro Updated Dec 15, 2004

• CEP1863's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Peggy, I hope that you have an amazing birthday and a year filled with safe travel!

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Happy, happy birthday Peggy! Have a wonderful day.

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Best wishes on your Birthday, Pegy. Hope you're having a wonderful day.

• Herkbert's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Hi Peggy... Hope your birthday is a special one for you. Three cheers for your wine country excursions. Though across the country it is one of my favorite places to visit. Enjoy!

• Aug 7, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Peggy - hey girl, can't believe I tripped over your blog, where ever you are. I'm just still here in austin with Dean and my three boys ;-) take care, Jennifer (yeargain) Fisher

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Happy Birthday from your neighbor down south!

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2007 at 11:30 AM

Happy Birthday, Peggy! I like to read members quotes and yours happens to be exactly what Andrew's is who is also celebrating his birthday today! ENJOY your day!

• traveloturc's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2007 at 9:20 AM

Happy birthday to you from Istanbul/Turkiye..I wish that you realize all your dreams...good luck ...

• MikeStarr5's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2007 at 2:20 AM

Happy Birthday from Mike and Shelley in sunny "Barking Town" - Woof, Woof ! - Have a great day !

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
peggydaly's Profile Photo

peggydaly

“The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. --Augustine (354-430)”

Real Name