"the 2 city tour of Italy" Italy by carolondon

Italy Travel Guide: 70,716 reviews and 190,794 photos

Ahhh Roma...ahhhh Venezia

I know I really need to try a couple of other places, but I'm drawn to these two over and over.

My first trip was when I was 10 and Mum toured round the "Eternal City" with my 2 sisters and I for what felt like forever. Daily trips to the Forum to feed the stray cats, running round the Coliseum and Circus Maximus...we loved every minute of it.

Matt and I went to Rome in June 2005 for a weekend break and it was amazing! I knew from my trip with mum that it was an incredible place, but walking around the monuments in that early summer sunshine - we were transfixed! It was Matt 's first visit and he couldn't get enough of the place. We stayed in a gorgeous little hostel called The Beehive, which I would recomment to anyone at all - it is close to the train station (Termini) which makes getting to and from the airport easy, and it is clean and well run. As we only had Saturday and Sunday to cram in as much as we could, Matt and I just walked and walked all day. We stopped for icecream and pizza whenever the mood caught us, and filled our bottles continuously from the water fountains that flow throughout the city. I was amazed at how many exquisite sites this gorgeous city posesses, and we didn't even get to see them all! Another trip is in order so that we can get to the incredible Villa Borghese some day...

I have a pen pal, Anna Lisa, who lives outside of Venice, so in going to see her, I have been to Venice numerous times. It is such a pretty place, and though I have seen it over and over, every time I see it on a documentary, I think to myself "I really need to go there!". It seems there are places that you can explore again and again and never tire of! I've been there in the rain, in the burning sun, during the day and at night. I've been utterly lost and shown around by a guide, and still I feel I don't truely know it. There are so many aspects to Venice, and so many photo opportunities! You can stumble down a street in completely the wrong direction, but find yourself overwhelmed with the luck of being in that spot at that time and able to take such an exquisite photo! Perhaps another trip is called for - just to get back there one more time...

• Pros:Every part of the country is beautiful
  • Cons:How do you choose which bit to see?
  • In a nutshell:I will be back!
  • Intro Updated Apr 19, 2006

carolondon

“see it all, love it all”

Badges & Stats in Italy