"Shatland - a paradise for birdwatchers and hikers" Top 5 Page for this destination Shetland by wroclawiak

Shetland Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 479 photos

Shetland

I spent only four days on the main island but the Shetland islands deserve staying longer. I think the Shetland islands are a very good destination for bird lovers. Some wild seabirds are nesting so close to walking paths that you can have a look at their nests. Some of them are attacking you defending their babies. I was beeing attacked by skuas three times although I didn't see their babies hidden in the grass. One of the air attacks was a kind of kamikaze attack. One of the birds hit me. Ironically if they didn't attack me I didn't know that they have babies. I am not a bird expert and I didn't know that they are nesting in the grass not at the cliffs as other birds. Now I know. I respected their family instinct and tried to keep myself away from the babies as far as I was able to but sometimes it was impossible.

You will be astonished how many attractions can offer the Shetland Islands :
archological sites, nature reserves, good food and very nice people.

Puffins

Come to Shatland to see nesting puffins. They are so funny that you can looking at them for a few hours at the time and you don't get bored.

Brochs and landscapes

Shetland can offer you beautiful landscapes and famous archological sites.

• Pros:beautiful scenery
  • Cons:bad weather
  • Last visit to Shetland: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 5, 2007

• MikeBird's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM

HI,
    Your bird photos from Shetland are making me even more excited about my trip there in late August. I'm really looking forward to it especially as I'm a very keen birder.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Mike

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Your pages make want me visit Shetland one day. Fantastic intro photo! Also I'd love to see the puffins.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2007 at 12:53 PM

The photographs are simply stunning and the tips very interesting, but I can't see anything romantic about being seasick :-( The puffins look so cute!

Badges & Stats in Shetland

Have you been to Shetland?

Latest Activity in Shetland