"Rilski Manastir" Top 5 Page for this destination Rilski Manastir by wroclawiak
Rilski Manastir Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 297 photos
I didn't expect travelling from the little town of Rila that I would see a magnificent architectural monument.
The Rila Monastery is the biggest religious center in Bulgaria. It’s situated in the northwest part of Rila Mountains.The monastery stands 1150 meters above sea level. The monastery is situated about 120 km away from Sofia.
Its history is closely connected with Bulgarian history. The hermit Ivan Rilski founded the monastery in the 10th century. The stone tower - the most impressive building in the complex was constructed in the 14th century. It is five-storey, 8,3 m long and 7,8 m wide defense tower. It is 23 m high, and the "Preobrajenie Gospodne" ("God's Transfiguration") chapel is housed in the last floor.
During the ottoman invasion the monastery was burnt and was on the decline. In the second half of the century, three brothers from Kyustendil undertook restoring the monastery and they carried the St. Ivan Rilski`s relics in the monastery. In the 18th and the 19th century, with the financial support of wealthy Bulgarians, building of the monastery began. The construction had extended for 30 years and had been described with a great variety of architectural sights. The four – storey residential part includes three hundred monk cells, a library, an abbot’s room, four chapels, etc.
The main church is situated near to the Hreliova tower. The frescoes were painted by the best Bulgarian artists - the two brothers Zahari and Dimitar Zograf. Four iconographers had painted the central iconostasis for 5 years. In conjunction with the antique icons it is a national heritage.
The monastery museum keeps antiquities, icons and gospels. The famous wood- carved crucifix, made by a monk named Raphael, has been also preserved. He had carved the crucifix for 12 years and then went blind.
The Rilla monastery is the most famous monastery spot in Bulgaria. It was declared a national record of the past and is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
The monastery museum keeps antiquities, icons and gospels. The famous wood- carved crucifix, made by a monk named... more travel advice
wroclawiak's Related Pages
Rilski Manastir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RILA MONASTERY - The Spirit of Bulgarians"
- "The Keeper of Bulgarian Faith and Idenitity"
- "Rila Monastery"
- "Rila Monastery"
- "Rilski Manastir"
- "Essence of the Bulgarian people"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rilski Manastir
- Hotels in Rilski Manastir
- Transportation in Rilski Manastir
- Nightlife in Rilski Manastir
- Restaurants in Rilski Manastir
- Shopping in Rilski Manastir
- Warnings and Dangers in Rilski Manastir
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rilski Manastir
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Rilski Manastir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rilski Manastir
Photos in Rilski ManastirSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 65 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 21 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Fuerteventura Intro, 18 reviews, 65 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 15 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shetland Intro, 8 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malta Intro, 13 reviews, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 11 reviews, 31 photos
- Veliko Turnovo Intro, 8 reviews, 34 photos
- Wojewodztwo Dolnoslaskie Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovensky Raj Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue