"HAT YAI" Hat Yai by Tattugran

Hat Yai Travel Guide: 379 reviews and 718 photos

HAT YAI

Hat Yai is well known for its shopping and restaurants, with hundreds of street stalls, huge modern department stores and more restaurants than you can count, from the simple street vendors to the many hotel and garden restaurants.

Hat Yai lies in the south of Thailand 50 km north of the Malaysian border.

As much as we enjoyed the shopping .. the jewelery in particular we wont go back to Hat Yai because we felt we were intruders. For example we would walk into a shop and they would look at us and give us a weird look then walk away and not serve us.....we did notice we were the only westerners in the whole place.. and I can understand why. We did not get a good reception.

It takes about 2 hours by bus from Satun.

• Last visit to Hat Yai: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 8, 2005

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2009 at 2:13 AM

Lovely Hat Yai travel page with great tips especially restaurants and hotels tips. We have stayed in JB Hotel before. Thanks for sharing. Bring back fond memories of our trip there many years ago. ~ho & pang

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Must get back to Thailand sometime in the near future - reckon it might come around earlier than expected with the way airfares have gone to your part of the world!! Gillybob greetings

• pattypoo's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2008 at 5:15 AM

Hi Vicky and warrior.. Hope your not working to hard now you have your full stripes LOL..

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2006 at 6:42 AM

Hatyai is very much local with tourists mainly from Malaysia. So while the shopkeepers can handle Malaysian but some cannot speak English well enough. Did you try the body bending traditional Thai massage? Cheers, SL

• Azri_Azmi's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2006 at 4:41 AM

Hi, guess that there are not many activities that can be done in Hat Yai. Wonder why my relatives from northern of Malaysia eager to bring me to Hat Yai? See ya...

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2006 at 3:52 AM

A very interesting page on Hat Yai. It sounds like it is full of nuts of both kinds.

• airasia's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2006 at 6:32 PM

Hey Vicky ! Yup I know you are coming. Just to inform tentatively I maybe away from 21st till 27th. Hope to catch up with you by then. Do leave a contact no if possible : )

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2006 at 2:57 PM

.. and THAT is the current plan dearie! At least they are treating my better than the locals here treated you :) Small mercies, eh?

• Jasen71's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2006 at 9:55 PM

After reading you tips.. I may include a visit to Hat Yai when i return to Thailand next..

• Tina-Perth's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2005 at 7:52 PM

It's a shame you had that experience in Hat Yai, it is so unlike Thailand, although we have experienced similar in Thap Lamu where we felt compelled to not even enter a couple of shops.

Tattugran

“TO TRAVEL IS TO GO WHERE YOUR HEART DESIRES”

Badges & Stats in Hat Yai

Have you been to Hat Yai?

Latest Activity in Hat Yai