"Suzhou - City of Gardens" Suzhou by chatterley
Suzhou Travel Guide: 347 reviews and 1,117 photos
Suzhou is renowned for its beautiful gardens. Its gardens are different from those we see in Beijing (those are imperial gardens, and occupy huge areas of land). Suzhou's famous gardens are private gardens, built by the rich officials or merchants in their own residences. These gardens are small and simple, yet elegant and poetic in their design. One good example of the Suzhou garden is the Master-of-Nets Garden (Wangshi Yuan), which is listed as a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site.
Besides the Master-of-Nets Garden, we also visited the following places:
Qili Santang Historical and Cultural Street
Ruiguang Pagoda (Auspicious Light Pagoda)
Suzhou Silk Factory
The shop Cai Zhi Zhai was established in 1870, during the reign of Emperor Tongzhi of the Qing Dynasty. It specializes... more travel advice
Ruiguang means "auspicious light". It is said that this ancient pagoda was built by Sun Quan, the ruler of the Wu... more travel advice
chatterley's Related Pages
Suzhou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Suzhou - Gardens and Canals"
- "Fabled city of gardens"
- "Suzhou - Shang You Tian Tang Xia You Su Hang!"
- "Suzhou has it all"
- "Garden City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Suzhou
- Hotels in Suzhou
- Transportation in Suzhou
- Nightlife in Suzhou
- Restaurants in Suzhou
- Shopping in Suzhou
- Warnings and Dangers in Suzhou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Suzhou
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Suzhou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Suzhou
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 53 reviews, 84 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 52 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokyo Intro, 48 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Concelho de Macau Intro, 35 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 31 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 33 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seoul Intro, 24 reviews, 32 photos
- Jeju-do Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos
- Nagano Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos
- Phuket Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue