Tokyo Hotel Tips by chatterley
Tokyo Hotels: 415 reviews and 501 photos
We chose to stay in a different hotel for this trip. There was a special promotion on zuji.com for Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku, and after reading guests' reviews on this hotel, we decided to book our stay with them. We paid about 10500 - 11000 Yen per night, no breakfast included.
The lobby is big and nice, room is small (we took an "Economy Double" room) and the bathroom is tiny. However, the hotel is very clean and safe (you need to tap your card on a panel in the lift to get to your desired floor). Service staff are friendly and nice. We left our luggage with them for a couple of days as we had to travel to Nagano and Hakodate, and they obliged our request.
The room comes with the usual: water kettle, trouser press, linen, TV, clock etc. There is no safe deposit box in the room.
**Apply for the Sunroute Club Point Card for more privileges!**
The staff offered me the opportunity to apply for the card. It used to cost 500 Yen to sign up, but it is now free (though I have no idea when the promotion would end). The card comes with a lot of privileges, example:
1. Room rate discount - 10% discount for weekday, 20% discount for Sunday and holiday (discount is applicable the minute you sign up!)
2. Extension of check-out time until 1 pm
3. Discounts at hotel restaurant and bar
4. Point system - receive 1 point per 100 Yen for accommodation booking and using restaurants (and you start earning points immediately once you get the card)
5. If you book a room using the website, 300 points can be used as 1000 Yen
6. When you accummulate 2000 points, you can receive 15,000 Yen of S-cash in the card
This card can be used at all Sunroute hotels (there are 77 in Japan), there is no renewal charge and no expiry date.
Unique Qualities: The location of the hotel is great! We exit Shinjuku JR Station via the Southern Terrace Exit, turn left and walk past a few buildings and you'll see the hotel after 2 minutes.
It is also situated right beside an entrance / exit of the Toei Metro Line, very convenient to visit Tsukiji Market using this subway line.
There are also some restaurants and cafes (e.g. Starbucks, Cafe de Crie, etc) nearby, and also a 24-hour Citibank ATM located in the Maynds Building next to the hotel.
We will definitely consider staying at this hotel again when we visit Tokyo.
Address: 231 Yoyogi Shibuya Ku, Tokyo, 151 0053, Japan
Comparison: about average
Directions: Take the Southern Terrace Exit from Shinjuku JR Station, walk 2 minutes and you'll see the building.
Phone: 81 3 3375 3211
During our 2-day 1-night trip to Hakone, we stayed at the Ichinoyu Shinkan (it belongs to a chain of ryokans which operate mainly in the Hakone area. They accept online bookings). The price is about 12,120 Yen per person per night, inclusive of a dinner and a buffet breakfast. We took a Japanese style room with a private outdoor bath (for soaking). An extra 150 Yen per person is required for using the public bath.
The room is big (comes with its own outdoor balcony with the bath, toilet, futon mattresses, etc) and cosy. It is fitted with tatami mats, so we had to remove our shoes before entering the room. Yukatas are provided.
The dinner is one of the best meals we had in Japan! Our main course is shabu-shabu (pork and vegetables), and other dishes included appetizer (raw beef), rice (cooked with seasonal vegetables), fried cod fish, grilled mackerel, miso soup and dessert (lemon sherbet). The buffet breakfast was also good.
Most of the guests are local Japanese tourists.
Unique Qualities: The food was of a high quality, and the service was great.
Staying in a room with your own private soaking bath is convenient. We also went to the public bath, and we enjoyed soaking in the hot onsen bath in winter.
Address: 54-1Tounosawa Hakonemachi Ashigarashimo-gun Kanagawa
Comparison: about average
Directions: We took the JR Shinkansen to Odawara, then used the Hakone 2-day Freepass to take the train to Tounosawa. From Tounosawa, we walked uphill for about 5 minutes to reach this hotel.
Our hotel room
We stayed here for a total of 6 nights. The hotel is conveniently located in Shinjuku, and it took just a few minutes by foot from the Shinjuku Station West exit. The room is clean and size was ok (considering that this is Japan, and we didn't really pay a lot for the accommodation), bathroom was also clean and came with the auto-toliet. Amenities such as toothbrush, toothpaste, bathing foam, shampoo and conditioner were provided.
The staff were able to speak some English and were polite and professional.
The booking made through the online portal (Asiarooms) included breakfast, and that gave us good value. However, the breakfast menu will not change (cos the Japanese eat mostly the same type of breakfast, we guessed - rice, miso soup, grilled fish, eggs, etc), so don't expect variety from the breakfast selection!
Unique Qualities: The hotel's location is great. Proximity to Shinjuku station makes travelling a breeze, and there are plenty of cheap eateries around the hotel. Although it is located in Shinjuku (which is always busy), the hotel is situated off the main road, and that gives us some quiet from the busy streets. The cleanliness of the room and bathroom is also good.
Price was definitely a factor to consider, since Japan is expensive. We paid about Singapore 200 dollars per room per night, and considering the location, it was worth it.
Address: 7-14-14 Nishi-Shinjuku,Shinjuku-Ku Tokyo 160-0023 Japan
Comparison: about average
Directions: Exit the Shinjuku Station (West Exit), walk past Mcdonald's and it is located in the side-road on your left.
More Reviews (45)
chatterley's Related Pages
Tokyo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "T o k y o"
- "Tragedy in Japan"
- "Tokyo - I love this place ! Old, New, & Happening"
- "Tokyo East Tokyo West"
- "livingstonefree tokyo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tokyo
- Hotels in Tokyo
- Transportation in Tokyo
- Nightlife in Tokyo
- Restaurants in Tokyo
- Shopping in Tokyo
- Warnings and Dangers in Tokyo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tokyo
- 48 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Tokyo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tokyo
Read real reviews about Tokyo Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 53 reviews, 84 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 52 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokyo Intro, 48 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Concelho de Macau Intro, 35 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 31 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 33 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seoul Intro, 24 reviews, 32 photos
- Jeju-do Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos
- Nagano Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos
- Phuket Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (10)
- Imperial Palace(Kokyo Gaien National Garden)- 59 Reviews, 104 Photos
- Ginza- 51 Reviews, 76 Photos
- Harajuku And Omote Sando- 62 Reviews, 111 Photos
- Asakusa- 76 Reviews, 135 Photos
- Mt. Fuji - Day Trip- 23 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Tsukiji Market- 50 Reviews, 74 Photos
- Odaiba- 58 Reviews, 95 Photos
- Shinjuku- 52 Reviews, 103 Photos
- Tokyo Tower- 52 Reviews, 102 Photos
- Akihabara- 44 Reviews, 85 Photos
See All Tokyo Things to Do