"Winter Sonata" Seoul by chatterley

Seoul Travel Guide: 3,052 reviews and 7,531 photos

First Taste of Winter in 2003

That trip was my first winter adventure. I had a urge to visit Korea after watching the super tear-jerker drama serial "Winter Sonata". The winter scenery simply mesmerised me. So, I went down to the tour agency and promptly booked a tour, dragging my poor hubby along. He was not too keen about this trip, but eventually, I think he found it quite enjoyable (especially the 1-day skiing programme).

We spent quite some time preparing for this trip (actually, it was just me....I spent lots of time shopping around for nice winter wear... ), and although we spent quite a substantial amount of money, I thought it was a fun and enjoyable process.

The tour took us to the usual sights - as well as skiing in Yong Pyong Resort, Mt Sorak, Everland etc.

2nd visit to Seoul in 2012

We re-visited Seoul (also went to Jeju for the first time) in December 2012. Travelled independently by ourselves, using our guidebooks and travel planner and tips from VT. Saw lots of things and places that we've missed out in our 2003 visit - Myeongdong, Insadong, Namsan Tower, some of the smaller palaces etc. And we got to stuff ourselves silly with all the good food! Dumplings! BBQ pork! Marinated raw crabs...! Gained a few pounds!

If we were to ever go back to South Korea for another trip, we would definitely want to see places like Busan, Suwon etc.

• Pros:All those yummy Korean food! Friendly locals and great shopping too!
  • Cons:Long queues at theme parks, crazy traffic jams in cities
  • Last visit to Seoul: Dec 2012
  • Intro Updated Mar 22, 2013

• iwys's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2005 at 1:57 AM

Yes, those auto toilets are big here in Korea. Some of them have so many controls that it's like flying a plane! Where's the auto pilot switch?

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2005 at 8:14 AM

yes, Korea is cold. We have a picture of a waterfall in central Korea with the splash frozen. The coldest I suffered was a mountaintop near the DMZ at -30 degrees F.and 40 mph winds. A bit chilly. Look forward to reviewing other material you post.

• jckim's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2005 at 8:04 AM

Nice Start! waiting for more tips!

• May 16, 2005 at 5:12 AM