"WANDER THIRST" chatterley's Profile
And East and West the Wander-Thirst that will not let me be;
It works in me like madness to bid me say goodbye,
For the seas call, and the stars call, and oh! The call of the sky!
I know not where the white road runs, nor what the blue hills are,
But a man can have the sun for friend, and for his guide, a star;
And there’s no end to voyaging when once the voice is heard,
For the rivers call, and the road calls, and oh! The call of a bird!
Yonder the long horizon lies, and there by night and day
The old ships draw to home again, the young ships sail away
And come I may, but go I must, and if men ask you why,
You may put the blame on the stars and the sun,
And the white road and the sky.
-- Gerald Gould (1885-1936)
Status Update: Completed trip to Chiang Mai, now looking forward to Maldives in December.... and hopefully can manage to go on one more short trip in the region in Sep?
When I was younger (when I first started work), me and hubby used to travel by buying tour packages from tour agencies. The downside was that we felt even more tired after the holidays (which were supposed to rejuvenate us), probably due to packed itineraries and being shuttled from Point A to Point B in a tour bus.
After discovering VT in 2004, we started using information and tips shared by other travellers in planning our own holidays. The first trip we planned was to Bali, Indonesia. We booked everything online, from flight to hotel accommodation etc, and the experience and the freedom and flexibility we enjoyed was so addictive! From then on, we have done the same for our trips to Paris, Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Macau etc.
A big "Thank you" to VT and other VTers!
Local food! We loved the pho at Pho Hoa's (Ho Chi Minh City), yummy Tom Yum Soup in Phuket and Bangkok, Foie Gras and Macarons at Laduree's (Paris), Smelly Beancurd in Taipei, sashimi in Japan etc.
Culture and People. There is no better way to know a place than to interact with its locals. It was great fun to enjoy soaking in an onsen bath with local Japanese, sipping latte at a Parisien cafe while people-watching, taking subway train rides in Tokyo during rush hour, browsing through books at midnight in the 24-hour bookshops in Taipei etc.
I would really really like to visit Peru to see Machu Picchu one day. Other places that we would like to go to include: Egypt, Turkey, Prague, Scotland, South Africa, Kenya etc.
Hopefully, we would be visiting these places real soon, and this list can be renewed!
2003 Dec - Seoul, South Korea
2004 Dec - Bali, Indonesia
2005 Mar - Bangkok, Thailand
2005 Jun - Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
2005 Dec - Bangkok, Thailand
2006 Mar - Malacca, Malaysia
2006 Jun - Phuket, Thailand
2006 Dec - Shanghai, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Wuxi, Wuzhen, Nanjing, PRC
2007 Jun - Hong Kong, PRC
2007 Jun - Macau, PRC
2007 Dec - Hong Kong, PRC
2007 Dec - Taipei & Alishan, ROC
2008 Jun - Siem Reap, Cambodia
2008 Dec - Shanghai, PRC
2008 Dec - Tokyo, Kyoto, Hakone, Kamakura, Enoshima, Japan
2009 Sep - Penang, Malaysia
2009 Dec - Lijiang, Kunming, PRC
2009 Dec - Tokyo, Nagano, Hakodate, Japan
2010 Feb - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2010 Jun - Paris, France
2010 Dec - Bali, Indonesia
2011 Jun - Barcelona, Girona, Spain
2011 Sep - Melbourne, Australia
2011 Sep - Bangkok, Thailand
2011 Dec - Koh Samui, Thailand
2012 Jun - Taipei, Kinmen, ROC
2012 Sep - Hong Kong, PRC
2012 Dec - Seoul, Jeju, South Korea
2013 Jun - Chiang Mai, Thailand
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Edmonton Hotels
- Achimota Hotels
- Kuala Lumpur
- Honeymoon Island State Recreation Area Hotels
- Jurong Town Hotels
- Hong Kong
- Saint Augustine Hotels
- Memphis Hotels
- Montecatini Terme
- Lloret de Mar
- Ho Chi Minh City
- State of Jammu and Kashmir
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 470 Reviews
- 660 Photos
- 14 Countries
- 22 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
- Wrote a Review Great local dishes! about Huen Phen in Chiang Mai Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Great local dishes!"
- Posted in Travel Singapore Forum "Re: Smoke in Singapore"
- created a Chiang Mai Travel Page "6-day tour of the Lanna Kingdom"
updated their Profile Page "WANDER THIRST"
- chatterley and Linhnau are now friends.
- Commented on olgazot's profile page
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 53 reviews, 84 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 52 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokyo Intro, 48 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Concelho de Macau Intro, 35 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 31 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 33 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seoul Intro, 24 reviews, 32 photos
- Jeju-do Intro, 15 reviews, 41 photos
- Nagano Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos
- Phuket Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos