"Quiet, Peaceful and Isolated Daufuskie" Daufuskie Island by XanderDone
Daufuskie Island Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 15 photos
For those history buffs reading this, you will probably enjoy this tidbit of information I am about to reveal. Back in the antebellum days, when the US government freed all the slaves and said they could leave (but they really couldn't since the South seceeded), these islands were swampy and inhospitable at the time. As the Union pillaged Georgia in Sherman's March, the slaves suddenly had nowhere to run to, so they all got together by the shorelines of Georgia and South Carolina and settled in the little islands offshore. Here, they formed their own culture, the Gullah culture. Daufuskie was a Gullah Island that was bought out by wealthy people in search of a private shoreline property. Almost all the Gullah Islands are falling to the same fate now, and the Gullah culture is disappearing very quickly.
- Pros:Low pollution levels; no cars allowed
- Cons:Detached from culture and society
- In a nutshell:Unless you know someone who lives here, don't go
XanderDone's Related Pages
Daufuskie Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "N0T The First Key"
- "Dusky Daufuskie, an island apart from time"
- "Quiet, Peaceful and Isolated Daufuskie"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Daufuskie Island
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Daufuskie Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Daufuskie Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nassau Intro, 31 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paradise Island Intro, 26 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Juan Intro, 14 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 13 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponce Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- El Yunque National Forest Intro, 2 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos
- Salt Cay Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Condado Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Sintra Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.