"A Little Punch of Culture" Top 5 Page for this destination Ponce by XanderDone
Ponce Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 139 photos
Here, you will find only my visit of the historical center of the city, as I didn't take pictures while shopping. I have a collection of pictures of the recently refurbished central plaza. Everything is stuck in the 1800s, and it's absolutely enchanting to see the setting of a different time period with modern figures among them. It seems to clash a little more noticably than in Viejo San Juan or San Germán, I suppose because of the time period. There is a natural beauty about Ponce, and a great stmosphere about it, too. Although there were police officers everywhere with machine guns at the time, you couldn't help but to feel safe where you were.
Here, you find that Ponce is truly a "diamond in the rough." With the massive renovation project of the historical center, just a block away, you can see what it really was; a conglomeration of bricks which still happened to be somewhat mortared. The aged look of the posterior of the historical center gives an eerie yet inspiring vibe. It's really wonderful to see 19th century buildings still standing and falling apart with natural grace.
Named after the infamous Juan Ponce de Leon who went in search of the equally renowned Fountain of Youth, Ponce has an ornate fountain in his honor, with another monument on the southern end by the beaches.
- Pros:Atmosphere, People, Beauty
- In a nutshell:A trip worth making
In English: Plaza of Delights. This is where everything is. A block out of the plaza, almost everything still needs to... more travel advice
Well, I thought that parking was miserable if you're trying to see the Historical Center of Ponce. But there's a parking... more travel advice
XanderDone's Related Pages
Ponce Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ponce: La Perla del Sur"
- "A Little Punch of Culture"
- "Travel Notes from Ponce"
- "Ponce es Ponce"
- "Ponce: Puerto Rico's Other City"
- "Driving towards Ponce from the west"
- "WORST HOTEL IN PONCE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ponce
- Hotels in Ponce
- Nightlife in Ponce
- Restaurants in Ponce
- Shopping in Ponce
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ponce
- 10 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Ponce?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ponce
Photos in PonceSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nassau Intro, 31 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paradise Island Intro, 26 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Juan Intro, 14 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 13 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponce Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- El Yunque National Forest Intro, 2 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos
- Salt Cay Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Condado Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Sintra Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.