"Now And Then" Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka by JohnnyRockfish
Sitka Travel Guide: 176 reviews and 278 photos
Sitka was known as Russian America founded in 1802 by Russian fur traders. Also this is were the first Alaska State Capita was located until it was moved in the middle of the night to Juneau Alaska. In this photo you can see the Russian Orthodox Church in the middle of town and it is still there to this day and it still has members.
Sitka has change a little thought out the years but the past is still around us. Reminding us what was and still is a home for may people some have more history then others but the past is still alive and well here in Sitka Alaska.
Before Russians there were Tlingit these people have been around SE for more the 10,000 yrs. As you can see they are still here alive and well dancing their dances, singing their songs and passing on there way of life to the next generation
- Pros:You will never forget what you see here
- Cons:You will want to come back / Rains 100 inches a year
- In a nutshell:It is the Paradise for people who love the sea, mountains and sky.
It is always full at lunch and dinner you might have to call for reservations in the summer GREAT FOOD / if you have... more travel advice
When fishing in Alaska shop around and stay with the locals they know how to fish the waters not the summer Sitkens more travel advice
JohnnyRockfish's Related Pages
Sitka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sitka--One of the MOST beautiful places in the US!"
- "The Independent Traveler's Guide to Sitka"
- "Sitka ~ Tlingit, Russian & American Melting Pot"
- "Now And Then"
- "Most scenic town in Alaska"
- "Southeastern Alaska"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sitka
- Hotels in Sitka
- Transportation in Sitka
- Nightlife in Sitka
- Restaurants in Sitka
- Shopping in Sitka
- Warnings and Dangers in Sitka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sitka
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Sitka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sitka
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Kake Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Petersburg Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Coffman Cove Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Juneau Intro, 3 photos
- Skagway Intro, 3 photos
- Ketchikan Intro, 3 photos
- Haines Intro, 3 photos
- Tok Intro, 3 photos
- Wrangell Intro, 3 photos