"Devon" Top 5 Page for this destination Devon by munki

Devon Travel Guide: 1,960 reviews and 4,794 photos

After spending nearly a third of my life in the outskirts of London (Hanwell, Walthamstow, West Drayton, Slough and Harlow) I knew I was missing something of the real England (and I don’t mean just the sea and the countryside).
This has been my second visit to the western counties of Devon and Cornwall. It has to be a very good reason to come back again to the same destination with so many places in the world to explore.
Devon’s main attractions for nature lovers are the Dartmoor National Park and the Exmoor National Park that with the Bodmin Moor in Cornwall form the three great moors of the peninsula.

Dartmoor is the biggest in size of the three parks. The heather-grown moor is one of the plants that has better adapted to these acid soils, strong winds and frequent rains and dominate the scenery. The different types of heathers with their diminutive flowers are constantly visited by the local busy bees during the spring.
The granite massifs take spectacular forms in some areas of the park. This high granite ridges are very popular with both hikers and rock climbers.
This wilderness area is home to hundred of semi free flocks of sheep’s and ponies. You must drive carefully and respect the 40 mph speed limit.

Exmoor is smaller in size and the land is privately owned by local farmers. The coastal road offers magnificent views of the sea with dramatic cliffs and beaches.
Lynton and Lynmouth are sisters villages are divided by a steep cliff. The Victorian village of Lynton offers great view of the sea. A cliff railway connects both villages.
Picturesque Lynmouth, which is a favourite spot with tourists, lies in a small estuary where the East and West Lyn rivers meet the sea. Floods washed away the village in the summer of 1952. There is a collection of excellent photograph of the flood damage in a building next to the village public toilets.
Appledore is an elegant village located at the Torridge Estuary. Some of the colourful eighteenth century fishermen’s houses are now craft, souvenirs, antiques and art shops are worth a look. The North Devon Maritime Museum at the end of Bude Street was closed during my visit (open between 2-5 pm at weekends).

• Last visit to Devon: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 3, 2005

• Jul 1, 2007 at 2:30 AM

My good friend Keith Derring lived at 15 Bude st way back in the late 1970`s. I now live in Australia, but I miss the good old days!

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2005 at 2:36 PM

An interesting page with lovely photos and some good information. I'd like to visit her one day. Thanks for showing us your visit, and I liked the sunset pics despite what you say, thanks, Pam :-)

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2005 at 3:30 AM

very enticing - a couple of captions on your travelogue pics would have been nice.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2005 at 1:49 AM

Looks so beautiful down this way - really have to check it our for myself!!

• May 7, 2005 at 1:28 PM

My best friends daughter is called Devon, take a look at my "very important people" page. There she is, Devon. She's named after that beautyspot of England. I xan see why. Nice pictures. Hi from one who's about to move from Denmark to England. Elvira.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2005 at 1:39 PM

Nice Devon page have experienced the cliff railway -anyone going down Really nice part of the country with great friendly people

• amapola66's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2005 at 4:36 PM

Yep, Horsecheck is right, these are brilliant photos.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2005 at 5:09 AM

Fabulous page with brilliant photos. Brings back memories of my days in this lovely part of England. :o)

munki

“Travel and broaden the soul!”

Badges & Stats in Devon