"Dorset" Top 5 Page for this destination Dorset by munki
Dorset Travel Guide: 863 reviews and 2,308 photos
For someone who was lived all his life in the outskirts of big cities, going to Dorset is a real treat. Devon is located at the south west of England, surrounded by Somerset, Wiltshire and Hampshire. All these counties were part of the ancient kingdom of Wessex.
Devon’s main city is Bournemouth with its sandy beach is one of the most famous England sea resorts.
Shaftesbury is a picturesque town with eighteenth century cottages, abbey ruins and cobbled streets. Gold hill is a busy spot for photograph lovers.
Sherborne is another charming little town with lots of old houses. Abbey Church and the rest of the monastic buildings were rebuilt in the fifteenth century. The beautiful Almhouse which is next to the abbey is a very photogenic medieval building.
Cerne Abbas village is known for the fifty-five metres giant carved on a chalk hillside. The giant is a fertility symbol as his erectile organ can be seen from the car park at the road.
Dorchester is the county town of Dorset and the best base to explore Maiden Castle, a very unique prehistoric fortified site at the south outskirts of the town. Its ramparts and ditches have a defensive function against invaders.
Weymouth is another seaside resort with a picturesque old harbour full of trawlers and yachts. The Esplanade is packed with Georgian houses all with great view of the long beach.
Lyme Regis is famous for the great concentration of fossils in the coastal cliffs. Keen Fossil-hunters hammers the soft limestone and clay rocks of the cliff.
The Cobb, an artificial harbour wall which protects the town from the rough sea, offers great views of the beach and surroundings cliffs.
The Cobb, an artificial harbour wall which protects the town from the rough sea, offers great views of the beach and... more travel advice
Weymouth is a popular destination for families with a few attractions; the most popular ones are the Sea Life Park, The... more travel advice
munki's Related Pages
Dorset Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "DORSET,U.K .WHERE I LIVE!"
- "The Dorset Coast"
- "Dorset - some things you might like to know"
- "Shaftesbury visit"
- "Not exactly shining armor."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dorset
- Hotels in Dorset
- Transportation in Dorset
- Nightlife in Dorset
- Restaurants in Dorset
- Shopping in Dorset
- Warnings and Dangers in Dorset
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dorset
- 13 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Dorset?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dorset
Top 10 Pages
- Norway Intro, 57 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cornwall Intro, 32 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 26 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Devon Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pushkar Intro, 8 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jaisalmer Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Agra Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk (County) Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orchha Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dorset Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos