"Small town with black sand beach" Cuyutlán by elji

Cuyutlán Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 8 photos

Little Cuyutlan

It has been a while since I was in Cuyutlan. I had a great time there at Christmas in 1998 with my two best friends. It is a small beach town with two main roads. The black sand beach is very cool. It is more common to see Mexican families here on vacation than Americans, and you should expect that most people speak Spanish only or limited English.

Why go to Cuyutlan

This is a good place to go if you don't have much money and you are happy with doing not much except sitting on a beach, eating good fish and guacamole, and drinking some beer!

You must be willing to tolerate less-than-orthopedic mattresses and if you eat fish, you cannot be squeamish about it still having the eyeballs on it!

The accomodations I saw were all clean but very basic, and there are no tours or anything like that (at least that I remember seeing). In fact, we had some trouble making an international call, and had to take a bus to the next town to make one!

You can rent a boogie board and do some body surfing on the beach. You can also rent a cloth sling chair and umbrella for a day on the beach. There are lifeguards, and it is a good thing because if you get a little away from the main area, the riptide can be quite strong, so be careful of that.

Some areas a little south of here attract a lot of surfers in the wintertime. If you want to surf, I think it is better if you go a little further south.

How cheap is it?

When we were there, we rented one room right on the beach front with 3 beds in it for $14 a night, and a beer on the beach cost about 75 cents. I don't know how the economy and exchange rate has fared in the past five years, so it could well be more now, but I'm sure this is still a very affordable and off the beaten path destination.

• Pros:black sand beach, inexpensive, good weather, not a tourist trap
  • Cons:not much to do, not many extra comforts or luxury
  • In a nutshell:good place to spend all day reading on the beach
  • Last visit to Cuyutlán: Dec 1998
  • Intro Updated Dec 5, 2004

Comments

elji

“Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.--Anais Nin.”

Badges & Stats in Cuyutlán

Have you been to Cuyutlán?

Latest Activity in Cuyutlán