"Cape Reinga , the top end of NZ." Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Reinga by Robdaz
Cape Reinga Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 160 photos
We couldn't have picked a more perfect day to go up the cape. Perfect blue sky. We woke up early in the morning to drive about an hour from Matauri Bay ,where we have camped the night before, to Kataia to catch a tour bus up to Cape Reinga. This is so we can enjoy the drive along 90 miles beach without worrying about our car.
The tour started at about 9.00am from Kataia and along the way as we make our way north , we stopped at the Ancient Kauri Kingdom to view some kauri wood craft, Te Kao local store for the biggest big ice cream for $1.00, the white sands of Parengarenga Harbour before we reached Cape Reinga at about 1.30pm. On the way back, we have lunch at Toputoputu Bay , then proceed to Te Paki Stream and Dunes to have some tubogganning thrills. After the fun at Te Paki Dunes we proceeded down 90 miles beach , skipping the tides to make our back to Kataia.
This is some very fascinating backgound about the top of NZ which I got off the net :
Maori describe the very top of the North Island as Te Hiku o te Ika a Maui - the tail of the fish of Maui. According to tradition, the North Island was once a giant fish pulled out of the sea by Maui from his canoe, the South Island. Wellington forms the head of the fish, and at the tip of the fish's tail stands Cape Reinga.
It is believed that after death, Maori spirits travel up Ninety Mile Beach to Cape Reinga. Using seaweed as ropes, they travel down the hill to the pohutukawa tree, believed to be over 800 years old, at the northernmost tip of the Cape. The spirits make their final leap from the tree, down the roots, and then return to Hawaiiki, the ancestral homeland of Maori. Cape Reinga is known by Maori as Te Rerenga Wairua, the leaping place of the spirits.
There is no lighthouse keeper as all lighthouses in NZ since the 1980s, have became fully automated. All lighthouses are controlled from a central computer system in Wellington.
However , when we were there the famous sign post showing the distance and direction to some major cities aroung the world was missing for some unknown reason.
- In a nutshell:Where the Pacific Ocean and the Tasman Sea meet.
If you have time, there are plenty of great tracks to walk to view the amazing sceneries at the top of New Zealand. more travel advice
A short drive down some pretty steep gravel road from Cape Reinga you will find Tapotupotu Bay . Their is a nice grassy... more travel advice
Robdaz's Related Pages
Cape Reinga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The end of the world"
- "Cape Reinga and Spirits Bay"
- "Cape Reinga - Top of New Zealand"
- "Rerenga Wairua"
- "Cape Reinga , the top end of NZ."
- "Cape Reinga."
- "Cape Reinga"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cape Reinga
- Hotels in Cape Reinga
- Transportation in Cape Reinga
- Restaurants in Cape Reinga
- Shopping in Cape Reinga
- Warnings and Dangers in Cape Reinga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cape Reinga
- 8 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Cape Reinga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cape Reinga
Top 10 Pages
- Auckland Intro, 27 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 16 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Reinga Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tutukaka Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Singapore Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Matauri Bay Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Puhoi Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos
- Kerikeri Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos