"Puhoi" Puhoi by Robdaz
Puhoi Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 20 photos
Puhoi is a bohemian village on the banks of the scenic Puhoi River.
Early settlers of Puhoi (Maori for "Spring Water") came in 1863 from Bohemian, an area of what is now the Czech Republic, approx. 60 km from Prague.
Puhoi is located about 17km from Auckland. We have passed this exit on the highway 1 to the far north many time but has never taken the time to drive in and explore.
It's a great drive on a weekend for lunch at the cheese factory or the local pub. We have also went Canoeing there.
If you start at the mouth of the Puhoi River at the Regional Park at about 9.00 in the morning it will take you about 2 to 2 1/2 hours to paddle your way to Puhoi Village in time for lunch. Read more about it in things to do section below.
- Pros:Peaceful, quiet, country village.
- Cons:Can't thing of any, you need you own transport to get here.
It a great day out and a good work out. For those who have not done any canoeing before this is a great place to try it... more travel advice
This is a a historic building and is worth a look.St Peter & Paul's Catholic Church where mass is still read in Latin. more travel advice
Robdaz's Related Pages
Puhoi Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Puhoi
- 6 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Puhoi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puhoi
Top 10 Pages
- Auckland Intro, 27 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 16 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Reinga Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tutukaka Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Singapore Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Matauri Bay Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Puhoi Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos
- Kerikeri Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos