"Welcome/Selamat Datai to Kuching,the Cat City." Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching by Robdaz
Kuching Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 164 photos
Kuching , sound liked the Malay pronounciation for Cat which is the adopted symbol of the City. As you walk the city you will see many cat statutes located around the city reminding you where you are. There is even a museum dedicated to cats. Cat lovers you will feel right at home here.
Kuching is the capital city of the state of sarawak. It's population of about 400,000 comprised mainly of chinese, malay and dayaks. The city is divided into half by the Sarawak River. It is a well planned city with wide roads , parks and shady plants/ trees lining the roads.
This is the city where I was brought up. I have added quite a number of tips to see and do for Vters but no pictures yet, which I will do so later.
Most of the historical buildings and sights are located in the city area and can be visited but doing a walking tour of the city yourself with a good map. If you are lost just ask for directions , most locals understand English.
This is a building designed based on a traditional Melanau hut. When I was last there it was operating as a cafe on the ground floor and restaurant. A good place to enjoy a cup of coffee or tea while observing Kuching life.
You can take that bus which is designed as a tram to do a city tour.
This is one of the many cat statutes in the city. This is located in the golden triangle of Kuching where all the international hotels are sited. So if you are in Kuching you will definitelty see it.
Note : the picture of the Sampan crossing the river was not taken by me but a friend. It such a great shot that I put it in to share with you guys!
- Pros:Friendly locals, historical and great city & river walk.
- Cons:Hot , Humid and too much traffic .
This is another beautiful colonial building that now houses the Sarawak Craft Council office. more travel advice
There really isn't much to see here but the interesting architecture and if you go to the top you can get a panaromic... more travel advice
Robdaz's Related Pages
Kuching Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome/Selamat Datai to Kuching,the Cat City."
- "Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia"
- "School Holiday Break in Kuching Sarawak"
- "THE KUCHING PILGRIMAGE"
- "Sarawak, Kuching"
- "Fly to Kuching International Airport"
- "Kuching Festival - August 2004"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kuching
- Hotels in Kuching
- Transportation in Kuching
- Restaurants in Kuching
- Shopping in Kuching
- Warnings and Dangers in Kuching
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kuching
- 30 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Kuching?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuching
Top 10 Pages
- Auckland Intro, 27 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 16 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Reinga Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tutukaka Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Singapore Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Matauri Bay Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Puhoi Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos
- Kerikeri Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos