"Tunbridge Wells - Kent" Top 5 Page for this destination Tunbridge Wells by PeteG

Tunbridge Wells Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 155 photos

My new home town

I have lived in Tunbridge Wells for nearly a year now so am still finding new things. However, I find I am much less likely to walk about my home town with my camera than I would when travelling - so this morning I went out and took a few pics which will hopefully give you a small flavour of Tunbridge Wells.

In 1606, a young nobleman called Dudley Lord North discovered the spring that "The Wells" are named after. It became very fashionable to "take the waters" with royalty and aristocracy.

You can still see the spring, and it's plaque detailing it's history. This is at the northern end of The Pantiles and is shown in my photo.

There are loads of great restaurants and pubs in and around Tunbridge Wells. A couple of my favourites are The Hare pub/restaurant in Langton Green, and The George & Dragon pub/restaurant in Speldhurst. Both of these are just outside the town and are excellent. Have a look at my tips pages for more details on them.

The Pantiles

The Pantiles is a collection of really nice shops, restaurants, cafes, which are in a colonade. This is a lovely place to sit out and have a coffee and watch the world go by. If you like antique shops, then this is the place for you as there are loads of them.

You can find The Pantiles at the south end of Tunbridge Wells and it is actually sign posted so you won't miss it.

Outside

If you have time when coming to Tunbridge Wells, try to get out into the surrounding countryside or take a walk in some of the parks or common land.

I took this photo this morning in a nearby street and the colours on the tree are amazing this time of year (November).

There are loads of walks you can do, and I would suggest going into the Tourist Information centre which is in the middle of The Pantiles and picking up one of their guide books or buy an OS map and go walk!

• Pros:A lovely place to live
  • Cons:I wish it was cheaper to live here
  • Intro Updated Nov 4, 2007

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Looking forward to Indian food in England.Heard its the best in the world-can never beat India though.

• nhcram's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2008 at 4:52 AM

Ah I realy must try that Indian restaurant when I next visit .

• ChrisnJan's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2007 at 11:30 AM

Hi Pete thanks for visiting my page. I have to agree with you about The George and Dragon we have had some great meals there. Happy New Year ...Chris

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2007 at 4:46 AM

looks like agood start to the geeteelest of english towns

• craic's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2007 at 8:48 AM

ah - a tunbridge wells page - excellent

• Nov 4, 2007 at 8:19 AM

Excellent start! Will expect to see more in the near future though ;-))

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2007 at 6:14 AM

Yeah, they're really obscure - but you DON'T want to be a catamite!!! LOL! Gillybob greetings

PeteG Lives Here!

PeteG

“you don't need eyes to see, you need vision”

Badges & Stats in Tunbridge Wells

Have you been to Tunbridge Wells?

Latest Activity in Tunbridge Wells