"Tunbridge Wells - Kent" Top 5 Page for this destination Tunbridge Wells by PeteG
Tunbridge Wells Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 155 photos
I have lived in Tunbridge Wells for nearly a year now so am still finding new things. However, I find I am much less likely to walk about my home town with my camera than I would when travelling - so this morning I went out and took a few pics which will hopefully give you a small flavour of Tunbridge Wells.
In 1606, a young nobleman called Dudley Lord North discovered the spring that "The Wells" are named after. It became very fashionable to "take the waters" with royalty and aristocracy.
You can still see the spring, and it's plaque detailing it's history. This is at the northern end of The Pantiles and is shown in my photo.
There are loads of great restaurants and pubs in and around Tunbridge Wells. A couple of my favourites are The Hare pub/restaurant in Langton Green, and The George & Dragon pub/restaurant in Speldhurst. Both of these are just outside the town and are excellent. Have a look at my tips pages for more details on them.
The Pantiles is a collection of really nice shops, restaurants, cafes, which are in a colonade. This is a lovely place to sit out and have a coffee and watch the world go by. If you like antique shops, then this is the place for you as there are loads of them.
You can find The Pantiles at the south end of Tunbridge Wells and it is actually sign posted so you won't miss it.
If you have time when coming to Tunbridge Wells, try to get out into the surrounding countryside or take a walk in some of the parks or common land.
I took this photo this morning in a nearby street and the colours on the tree are amazing this time of year (November).
There are loads of walks you can do, and I would suggest going into the Tourist Information centre which is in the middle of The Pantiles and picking up one of their guide books or buy an OS map and go walk!
- Pros:A lovely place to live
- Cons:I wish it was cheaper to live here
The building itself is several hundred years old, with some parts of it dating back a lot further. There are 3 main... more travel advice
PeteG's Related Pages
Tunbridge Wells Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Royal Tunbridge Wells"
- "TUNBRIDGE WELLS - WHERE THE BROGUES RUN FREE!"
- "My Hometown"
- "Tunbridge Wells - Kent"
- "(Royal) Tunbridge Wells"
- "Tunbridge Wells"
- "Royal Tunbridge Wells - A description"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tunbridge Wells
- Hotels in Tunbridge Wells
- Transportation in Tunbridge Wells
- Nightlife in Tunbridge Wells
- Restaurants in Tunbridge Wells
- Shopping in Tunbridge Wells
- Warnings and Dangers in Tunbridge Wells
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tunbridge Wells
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Tunbridge Wells?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tunbridge Wells
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: New Member Anybody else out..."
- Commented on one of themajor's Tunbridge Wells travel pages
- Wrote a Review Sunday buffet lunch - oh yes! in Tunbridge Wells Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "All local - organic"
- updated a Tunbridge Wells Travel Page "Tunbridge Wells - Kent"
Photos in Tunbridge WellsSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Jaipur Intro, 6 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pushkar Intro, 8 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Agra Intro, 3 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Petra Intro, 4 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ngorongoro Intro, 2 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 1 review, 16 photos, 3 travelogues
- Serengeti National Park Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Manyara National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fatehpur Sikri Intro, 1 review, 13 photos, 1 travelogue