"Lake Manyara National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Manyara National Park by PeteG
Lake Manyara National Park Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 118 photos
Lake Manyara is positioned right at the base of the African Rift Valley Wall. When you get into clearings you can really see the size of the wall and it is so impressive to look at.
My photo's do not really do it justice, but I hope you get a feeling of scale with this family of giraffe in the foreground.
It is a great place to start off your safari. Compared with Serengeti etc it is much smaller in size, but what it lacks in area it more than makes up for in wildlife. Within the first ten minutes of entering the park we had encountered several troops of baboons, lots of giraffes quite a few elephants.
The other wildlife we saw include hippo, flamingo, pelican, and banded mongoose. At the Lake itself there are so many different variety of bids. A great place for birdwatching if that is your thing
The thing that stuck me about the elephants in the park was their indifference to people. They just went about their business as if we were not there which re-assured me we were in a "zoo" environment.
As they love dusting themselves down they are exactly the same colour as the earth!
Manyara was our first stop on safari in Tanzania and the first opportunity to get close up to the wildlife.
It is a beautiful park and there are miles and miles forested and open areas to explore, although we only spent a day there.
Because the first mile or so of the park is heavily wooded, the baboons love it and jump from tree to tree above your head, or just sit in the road "looking moody". They are fantastic to watch leaping from branch to branch.
Lake Manyara is a great point to stop on route to the Serengeti, and Ngorongoro.
Make sure you stop in Karatu on the way as well.
- Pros:A great introduction to safari
- Cons:A little busy with traffic
- In a nutshell:So much in such a relatively small area
The diversity of animals and birds is so great in such a relatively small area. This was the first park I went to on... more travel advice
PeteG's Related Pages
Lake Manyara National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The tree climbing lions of Lake Manyara"
- "Lake Manyara - Safari Gem of the Rift Valley"
- "Lake Manyara - much water in a dry country"
- "Lake Manyara National Park"
- "Lake Manyara"
- "I wish one can get near the lake!"
- "Was that the lake then?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake Manyara National Park
- Hotels in Lake Manyara National Park
- Nightlife in Lake Manyara National Park
- Shopping in Lake Manyara National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake Manyara National Park
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Lake Manyara National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Manyara National Park
Photos in Lake Manyara National ParkSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Jaipur Intro, 6 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pushkar Intro, 8 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Agra Intro, 3 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Petra Intro, 4 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ngorongoro Intro, 2 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 1 review, 16 photos, 3 travelogues
- Serengeti National Park Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Manyara National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fatehpur Sikri Intro, 1 review, 13 photos, 1 travelogue