"Jerash - "Pompeii of the East"" Jarash by PeteG
Jarash Travel Guide: 177 reviews and 616 photos
The Cardo Maximus runs from the Oval Plaza up to the North Gate. It is a stunning road lined with hundreds of beautifully preserved columns.
The great thing about this road is the great detail you can see with every footstep. The road itself is vaulted with the original "man hole" covers to the sewage area beneath still intact. You can see the carvings on the columns of the names of the owners of the shops that would have been situated behind them, along with the raised pavements and still paved road complete with chariot wheel grooves.
There is so much to see in Jerash but yet even more still buried under the sand still to be uncovered.
This is a stunning huge plaza surrounded by 1st Century Iconic columns. It is still used today for an annual music festival and it must be an absolutely beautiful setting for a concert.
The South Theatre is another almost entirely complete beautifully constructed building. It holds 3,000 people all with a great view and with brilliant accoustics. The general rules is that Romans built their theatres to be able to hold 10% of the population of the town, and so going by that it is estimated that Jerash was once home to 30,000 people.
One thing that may surprise you when you visit, is that the Jordanians love the traditional Scots musical instrument of the bagpipes! It is now the offical instrument of the army and is also played at weddings. The Jordanian Pipe Band play in the south theatre and it is a sight to see.
- Pros:If you love architecture and history it is amazing
- Cons:There is no shelter so in the summer it will be so hot!
- In a nutshell:Brilliantly preserved, just like stepping back in time
One thing that may surprise you when you visit, is that the Jordanians love the traditional Scots musical instrument of... more travel advice
PeteG's Related Pages
Jarash Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A wonderful Roman town in Jordan"
- "Don't miss this!"
- "Gerasa, an antic city"
- "Jerash, The Ancient Roman City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jarash
- Hotels in Jarash
- Transportation in Jarash
- Restaurants in Jarash
- Warnings and Dangers in Jarash
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Jarash
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Jarash?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jarash
Top 10 Pages
- Jaipur Intro, 6 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pushkar Intro, 8 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Agra Intro, 3 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Petra Intro, 4 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ngorongoro Intro, 2 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 1 review, 16 photos, 3 travelogues
- Serengeti National Park Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Manyara National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fatehpur Sikri Intro, 1 review, 13 photos, 1 travelogue