"Miyako Odori" Kyoto by SharrieShaw
Kyoto Travel Guide: 1,924 reviews and 6,142 photos
Aug. 30, 2006.
The cherry blossom season is most beautiful in the city of Kyoto.
I missed many years of cherry blossoms due to global warming & mistiming. This year, I finally made it back to Kyoto, the ancient capital where all things ancient & conventional can still be experienced in this city.
Last year's "Memoirs of a Geisha" brought back the urge to revisit this elegant city where geishas & maikos dwell. It is my 3rd visit to this city but my first visit to the Miyako Odori (cherry blossom dance) where geishas & maikos performed the dance every spring. The history of Miyako Odori dates back as far as 1872 (134 years ago!). It is a fun time of the year, every visitor is exuberant & enjoy the atmospheric city at this time of the year to the utmost. One can even go as far as dressing up & posing as a Geisha or Maiko just for the fun of it all. I did & you should :-)
Kyoto is extremely regal during this time of the year. If you are lucky like I was, you'll probably get to see maikos dancing all the traditional dances at the temples too. It was a rare treat for me at Heian Shrine that sunday morning. The sakura was in full splendor in its fantastic garden as well.
An unforgettable sight!
I saw this maiko twice during my 4 nights stay in Kyoto.
She's young & beautiful, probably the most popular & upcoming maiko this year considering the elegance of the kimono she's adorning.
That must have cost her a bomb!
It's truly beautiful though, don't you think?
Kimono is the most prized possession of the maiko & geiko of Gion.
Kimono can essentially cost up to millions of yen.
It is hand made & painted & each is as uniquely different as the owner who wears them. Quite a piece of art, I must say.
It is said a geiko or maiko is never caught wearing the same kimono twice while entertaining!
& it takes a lot of time to dress up in kimono too.
Trust me, I've tried it!
JNTO Sightseeing with map
JNTO Transport Information
JNTO Gourmet Guide
All about Kimono from Wikipedia
All about Geisha from Wikipedia
- In a nutshell:So much to try, so much to appreciate!
SharrieShaw's Related Pages
Kyoto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kyoto is a must see for every tourist in Japan!"
- "Cultural Capital Kyoto"
- "WORLD OF ITS OWN (Kyoto,Nara,Osaka,Himeji & Kobe)"
- "KYOTO - THE HEART OF JAPAN"
- "Kyoto: A Family Trip Through a World Heritage City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kyoto
- Hotels in Kyoto
- Transportation in Kyoto
- Nightlife in Kyoto
- Restaurants in Kyoto
- Shopping in Kyoto
- Warnings and Dangers in Kyoto
- See All...
- No VT rank yet.
- 0 Reviews
- 498 Photos
- Add Friend
- Send Message
Badges & Stats in Kyoto
- 0 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Kyoto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kyoto
Photos in KyotoSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Japan Intro, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- French Southern and Antarctic Lands Intro, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cradle Mountain-Lake Saint Clair National Park Intro, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kyoto Intro, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kyoto-fu Intro, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hobart Intro, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- State of Tasmania Intro, 26 photos, 5 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 25 photos, 4 travelogues