"Miyako Odori" Kyoto by SharrieShaw

Kyoto Travel Guide: 1,924 reviews and 6,142 photos

Aug. 30, 2006.

The cherry blossom season is most beautiful in the city of Kyoto.
I missed many years of cherry blossoms due to global warming & mistiming. This year, I finally made it back to Kyoto, the ancient capital where all things ancient & conventional can still be experienced in this city.

Last year's "Memoirs of a Geisha" brought back the urge to revisit this elegant city where geishas & maikos dwell. It is my 3rd visit to this city but my first visit to the Miyako Odori (cherry blossom dance) where geishas & maikos performed the dance every spring. The history of Miyako Odori dates back as far as 1872 (134 years ago!). It is a fun time of the year, every visitor is exuberant & enjoy the atmospheric city at this time of the year to the utmost. One can even go as far as dressing up & posing as a Geisha or Maiko just for the fun of it all. I did & you should :-)

Kyoto is extremely regal during this time of the year. If you are lucky like I was, you'll probably get to see maikos dancing all the traditional dances at the temples too. It was a rare treat for me at Heian Shrine that sunday morning. The sakura was in full splendor in its fantastic garden as well.
An unforgettable sight!

I saw this maiko twice during my 4 nights stay in Kyoto.
She's young & beautiful, probably the most popular & upcoming maiko this year considering the elegance of the kimono she's adorning.
That must have cost her a bomb!
It's truly beautiful though, don't you think?

Kimono is the most prized possession of the maiko & geiko of Gion.
Kimono can essentially cost up to millions of yen.
It is hand made & painted & each is as uniquely different as the owner who wears them. Quite a piece of art, I must say.
It is said a geiko or maiko is never caught wearing the same kimono twice while entertaining!
& it takes a lot of time to dress up in kimono too.
Trust me, I've tried it!

• In a nutshell:So much to try, so much to appreciate!
  • Last visit to Kyoto: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 6, 2006

Comments

SharrieShaw

“Simply impressions”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.