"Classic Ceylon" Sri Lanka by trisanna
Sri Lanka Travel Guide: 3,609 reviews and 8,335 photos
Sri Lanka is a diverse country. From the peaceful grasslands, where wild elephants live to the hectic city pace of Colombo. It's hard to imagine that in the north of the country-there is a stretch of desert. For almost ten years, the government and the tamil tigers have been at peace. Hopefully this will continue, since it will bring better economic stability to the country thru tourism and business.
We concentrated our trip on the cultural triangle, where Sri Lanka's ancient capitals area. Now UNESCO heritage sites. We didn't visit tsunami hit areas, but it's obvious that the lack of tourists is affecting everyone.
Sri Lanka is made up of a few different ethnic groups. There are the Sinhalese, who are priimarily Buddhist. The Tamils arrived in Sri Lanka around 2,000 years ago, originally from south India or Tamil Nadu. The majority of the hindu population is concentrated in the northern city of Jaffna. Besides the Buddhists and Christians-there is a sizable Muslim population. Beautiful and ornate mosques are located in Colombo and Kandy.
Through time, Sri Lanka went through many historical and name changes. From Serendib to colonial Ceylon to the Independent country of Sri Lanka.
4th b.c.-10th century a.d. Reign of the first capital of Sri lanka-the city of Anuradhapura. Located in the northern central part of the country, this capital suffered many invasions from India, due to various religious differences.
1253-1400 the capital is moved to Polonnaruwa. Suffered attacks by Chinese
1658- Portuguese leave, Dutch take over.
1796-Dutch leave, British take over.
1815- The British have full control of Sri Lanka. Before this, Kandy was an independent state.
1948-Ceylon becomes an independent member of the British commonwealth. Now known as Sri Lanka.
- Pros:lush, beautiful countryside, ancient ruins, friendly people
- In a nutshell:beautiful country
Throughout Sri Lanka there are touts. I noticed this more here than in other countries. If you are not interested, you... more travel advice
If you have the time, you should have atleast one day in your itinerary. There are many beautiful colonial buildings- as... more travel advice
trisanna's Related Pages
Sri Lanka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ayu Bowan Sri Lanka"
- "SRI LANKA: Tear Drop of the Indian Ocean."
- "India's tear"
- "Sri Lanka: An Island Full of Treasures"
- "CEYLON.SUMPTUOUSLY TROPICAL."
- "Sri Lanka - A wonderful Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sri Lanka
- Hotels in Sri Lanka
- Transportation in Sri Lanka
- Nightlife in Sri Lanka
- Restaurants in Sri Lanka
- Shopping in Sri Lanka
- Warnings and Dangers in Sri Lanka
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sri Lanka
- 63 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Sri Lanka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sri Lanka
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 89 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chiang Mai Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 34 reviews, 31 photos
- Sri Lanka Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phuket Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 23 reviews, 23 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Songkhla Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
Top Sri Lanka hotels
- Colombo Hotels
- 348 Reviews - 614 Photos
- Kandy Hotels
- 283 Reviews - 687 Photos
- Nuwara Eliya Hotels
- 97 Reviews - 201 Photos
- Negombo Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 173 Photos
- Galle Hotels
- 70 Reviews - 212 Photos
- Trincomalee Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 54 Photos
- Bentota Hotels
- 56 Reviews - 132 Photos
- Hikkaduwa Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 71 Photos
- Aluthgama Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 7 Photos
- Peradeniya Hotels
- 1 Review - 11 Photos
- Anuradhapura Hotels
- 94 Reviews - 269 Photos
- Wadduwa Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Sigiriya Hotels
- 103 Reviews - 266 Photos
- Piliyandala Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Galkissa Hotels
- See nearby hotels