"Lamphun" Lamphun by trisanna
Lamphun Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 129 photos
Lamphun is an hour's drive outside the city of Chiang Mai. Lamphun along with other nearby towns were the center of a small Hariphunchai principality, from AD750-1281.Ruled by Mon Queen Chama Thewi-daughter of the ruler of Lopburi (Lavo). Haripunchai was able to remain independent from Khmer and Chiang Mai Thais. In 1050 AD, a wave of cholera swept through this town and many residents left for Burma. Some returned a few years later. Nowadays, there is still a small Mon speaking community.
The city of Lamphun is located by the banks of the Nam Mae Kuang. The city is quiet and free from busloads of tourists. There are a few beautiful and historic wats.
- Pros:Mon architecture, wats
- Cons:very few cafes and places to relax in
- In a nutshell:good for day trip from Chiang Mai
On weekends, a group of children play traditional music instruments. They sit quietly under a tree by the main bot. more travel advice
The cheapest way to get to Lamphun or back to Chiang Mai is by blue songtaew. From chiang mai-you get one by the Ping... more travel advice
trisanna's Related Pages
Lamphun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lamphun ancient city"
- "Lamphun famous for Longan & Beautiful Ladies"
- "Lamphun – Wat Phra That Haripunchai"
- "Lamphun province and town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lamphun
- Hotels in Lamphun
- Transportation in Lamphun
- Restaurants in Lamphun
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lamphun
- 7 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Lamphun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lamphun
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 89 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chiang Mai Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 34 reviews, 31 photos
- Sri Lanka Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phuket Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 23 reviews, 23 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Songkhla Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue