"Dambulla" Dambulla by trisanna
Dambulla Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 156 photos
The highlight of this city is the beautiful cave temples. The temples are located 100 meters above the street or main entrance way. There are five caves with each having interesting Buddhist murals on the walls and ceilings. The Buddhas are from around the 19th century. Most made out of stone and wood-then painted. Overall there are over 150 Buddha images.
These caves are important, since in the first century, King Valagambahu who fled the Sri Lankan capital Anuradhapura- took safety here. Once he regained his power, he had the cave's walls decorated with murals. Other kings made further decorations, such as having the interiors gilded and adding more Buddha statues.
The Sri Lankan buddhists built this structure with the large Buddha-hoping it would be the world's largest Buddha. Anyone, who has seen the large Hong Kong Buddha by the airport would know this one is smaller. Also, the mole looking thing by Buddha's chin is actually a bee hive.
- Pros:beautiful temples, interesting murals
- Cons:touts, monkeys, the over the top Buddhist museum
- In a nutshell:interesting and historic place with goats, who walk on the trail
Along with Buddha images, in the center of the room there is a dagoba (Buddhist shrine that looks like small stupa).... more travel advice
This is one of the nicest temple caves. This is the Temple of the Great King-since there are two statues of past kings.... more travel advice
trisanna's Related Pages
Dambulla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "temples of rock, temples of charm"
- "CAVES OF AMAZEMENT"
- "Culture Club Resort"
- "Dambulla - Cave Temple"
- "Dambulla - city of the magnificent cave temple"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dambulla
- Hotels in Dambulla
- Transportation in Dambulla
- Restaurants in Dambulla
- Warnings and Dangers in Dambulla
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dambulla
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Dambulla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dambulla
Photos in DambullaSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 89 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chiang Mai Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 34 reviews, 31 photos
- Sri Lanka Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phuket Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 23 reviews, 23 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Songkhla Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue