"Historic Polonnaruwa" Polonnaruwa by trisanna
Polonnaruwa Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 272 photos
Polonnaruwa is an UNESCO World Heritage Site and part of the cultural triangle located in central Sri Lanka. The complex is around 1,000 years old and was the site of two different kingdoms: the South Indian Chola and the Sinhalese.
The South Indian kingdom of Chola took over the Sinhalese capital of Anuradhapura. They then made Polonnaruwa their capital. Around the 11th century, the Sinhalese King Vijayabuahu I took over the site and made it their new captial. Other kings added taller buildings-some up to a few stories. Water tanks and other fine decoration, such as parks were then added. In the 13th century, the city of Polonnaruwa was abandoned, since it was an easy target for South Indian attacks. Also, at this time the Sinhalese kingdom was bankrupt and power shifted to the western side of the country.
Polonnaruwa consists of an old and new town. The new town has restaurants, cafes and guesthouses. Some hotels are nearby. You can easily spend a half to full day here. There is also an interesting museum, which usues models to recreate what many of the ruins would have looked like. If you have the time, it's worth a visit. The admission is included in your day ticket to Polonnaruwa or the cultural triangle ticket. Most tourists visit the site by large tour buses or car. For a better and fun way to tour the complex, rent a bike. You can also get a guide (many have bikes), who can show you the site. If you are interested in history and ruins-you will enjoy Polonnaruwa and the other sites of the cultural triangle.
- Pros:UNESCO world heritage site, interesting ruins
- Cons:touts, bus tours
- In a nutshell:interesting worth while visit
While driving through the lush Sri Lankan countryside, you will see these yellow or golden coconuts. They are called... more travel advice
If you have time this is an interesting stop. The museum is not large, will take you around 45 minutes to go through the... more travel advice
trisanna's Related Pages
Polonnaruwa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ancient ruins"
- "Don't miss this capital city."
- "Historic Polonnaruwa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Polonnaruwa
- Hotels in Polonnaruwa
- Transportation in Polonnaruwa
- Nightlife in Polonnaruwa
- Restaurants in Polonnaruwa
- Warnings and Dangers in Polonnaruwa
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Polonnaruwa
- 10 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Polonnaruwa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Polonnaruwa
Photos in PolonnaruwaSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 89 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chiang Mai Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 34 reviews, 31 photos
- Sri Lanka Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phuket Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 23 reviews, 23 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Songkhla Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Polonnaruwa hotel reviews
- Hotel Sudu Araliya
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013