"Maldives Capital" Male Island by trisanna
Male Island Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 237 photos
Male is a bustling city located on a long atoll.Not sure how much is real sand or reclaimation. This is an amazing little place. For a city that you can walk around in 15-20 minutes-you will find that a good amount of people have cars. Motorbikes are very popular here. We decided to sightsee here, since we had a five hour layover. Male is a very nice looking city. There are some beautiful buildings, such as the Grand and Old friday Mosques. The city is nicely landscaped and have a bunch of new fountains.
Unfortunately, as soon as you get off the boat -touts will attach themselves to you like leeches. They are very friendly and persistent and seem to speak atleast three or five languages. Many of them want you to go to their tourist shop. It's hard to get out of their presence and be polite.
- Pros:beautiful mosques and buildings
- Cons:touts, overpriced goods made somewhere else
- In a nutshell:interesting city
Around the city center there are some nice public parks. Lots of gardens and fountains. more travel advice
When walking around the Grand Mosque and other areas nearby-you need to watch out for signs that say no photographs.... more travel advice
trisanna's Related Pages
Male Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paradise with expiry-date"
- "Capital Island of the Maldives"
- "an island for a capital"
- "Welcome to the Maldives"
- "Male - Capital of paradise"
- "Snapshots of Maldives"
- "A 3 weeks homestay in The Maldive"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Male Island
- Hotels in Male Island
- Transportation in Male Island
- Nightlife in Male Island
- Restaurants in Male Island
- Shopping in Male Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Male Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Male Island
- 9 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Male Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Male Island
Photos in Male IslandSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 89 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chiang Mai Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 34 reviews, 31 photos
- Sri Lanka Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phuket Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 23 reviews, 23 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Songkhla Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue