"Vientiane" Vientiane by trisanna
Vientiane Travel Guide: 759 reviews and 1,712 photos
Vientiane is the capital of one of the most poorest nations. Even though the country is struggling financially, Vientiane has the potential of being a great city. It is an interesting city full of beautiful wats and crumbling stunning french colonial buildings with flashy SUVs driving up the main avenues.Vientiane is laid out like a Paris of the East. There is one large avenue that is intersected with their version of Arc de triumph, the Patuxai. The street ends at the Presidential palace. The city is located on the banks of the Mekong, not too far from the Friendship Bridge, which links itself to it's much more modern neighbor, Thailand.
Even though it's a communist country, capitalism has a strong hold here and i am sure will change this country in the near future. When we were there in 2004, there were no international ATMs in town. Everyone in our hotel said there were no ATMs in town. We did find a local one. It must have been new. Best to bring all the cash you need or bring in Thai Baht or US dollars to change into the local currency, Kip. Locals will accept and sometimes prefer if you pay in baht or dollars. We found that if you have Singapore dollars, it can be impossible to find someone other than your hotel to change your money.
We came here as a sidetrip through the Thai town Udon Thani. We spent a day and half here exploring the town, which wasn't enough. Then went back into Thailand to Loei and Dan Sai for the Phi Ta Khon festival.
Highlights of Vientiane:
-Wat Si Saket
-Haw Pha Kaew
-Wat In Paeng
-That Luang Stupa
-Xieng Khuan (Buddha Park)
- Pros:sleepy city, stunning wats, lovely colonial buildings, great French-Lao food
- Cons:insurgents, terrorism, no international ATMs
- In a nutshell:Hard to believe this is a capital city
This is a large market that sells a bit of everything. From Lao textiles, watches, clothing, homewares to food. You... more travel advice
We arrived into Vientiane, by flying into Udon Thani airport in Thailand. It's cheaper to fly here and cross into... more travel advice
trisanna's Related Pages
Vientiane Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "back to Vieng Chan"
- "Vientiane: Titch vs. the Mozzies"
- "Vientiane, capital of tranquility"
- "Vientaine - Capital City of Laos"
- "Bank Training Project - Bank of Lao PDR"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vientiane
- Hotels in Vientiane
- Transportation in Vientiane
- Nightlife in Vientiane
- Restaurants in Vientiane
- Shopping in Vientiane
- Warnings and Dangers in Vientiane
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vientiane
- 15 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Vientiane?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vientiane
Photos in VientianeSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 89 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chiang Mai Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 34 reviews, 31 photos
- Sri Lanka Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phuket Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 23 reviews, 23 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Songkhla Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue