"Thank you all, who shared in saving our heritage" Top 5 Page for this destination Temple of Abu Simbel by sayedaburas
Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Guide: 266 reviews and 918 photos
The constructing of the High Dam created an artificial lake , which threatened Abu-Simbel complex.
The (UNESCO) and the Egyptian government undertook the task of cutting the temples out of their rock-cliff and reassembling them in a new man-made mountain.
The great temple was raised 60 meters and moved 180 meters to the west of its old site.
The stones, statues, and columns of the temples were cut into giant pieces ranging from 3 to 20 tons in weight, each with a height of 3 metres and a length of 5 metres.
Main cutting tools were hand sews.
The great Temple was cut into 807 pieces, while the small Temple was cut into 225 blocks.
- Pros:Something unique
- Cons:By road it is far from Luxor.
- In a nutshell:A sign of sincere worldwide fruitful cooperation
The map shows the new site to where the 2 temples have been shifted. It is reachable by Air, Land or Boat. No more... more travel advice
Like other temples, the Great Temple of Abu Simbel was dedicated to a Triad, Amun-Re (the deity of Thebes), Re-Herakhty... more travel advice
sayedaburas' Related Pages
Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Went back to Egypt in May 2005"
- "Abu Simbel Temples"
- "Thank you all, who shared in saving our heritage"
- "Temple of Abu Simbel"
- "The Amazing Temples of Abu Simbel"
- "Abu Simbel--Warning Sign to the Nubian South"
- "Abu Simbel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Hotels in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Transportation in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Nightlife in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Restaurants in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Shopping in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Warnings and Dangers in Temple of Abu Simbel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Temple of Abu Simbel
- 16 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 50 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Temple of Abu Simbel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Posted in Travel Alexandria Forum "Re: American woman traveling solo..."
- Commented on one of Elena_blue's Temple of Abu Simbel travel pages
- Wrote a Review The New Present Site in Temple of Abu Simbel Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The New Present Site"
- updated a Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Page "Thank you all, who shared in saving our heritage"
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Intro, 41 reviews, 82 photos
- Luxor Intro, 16 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Temple of Abu Simbel Intro, 16 reviews, 24 photos
- Red Sea Hills Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Greece Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos