"On and Off the Road in Paso Robles" Top 5 Page for this destination Paso Robles by Roadquill

Paso Robles Travel Guide: 118 reviews and 400 photos

An Experiment in Wild West Wine Tasting

They have been making wine in Paso Robles for quite some time. However, just in the past several years have the area started to produce some really good wines. The town still feels more working rural than say the rich rural one feels in Napa or Sonoma. We visited several wineries over a long weekend including Tobin James, Opolo, Rotta and Kenneth Volk. We enjoyed many of the wines, but there were more than few that I could have done without. But that is the fun of wine tasting. During our two and a half day stay we probably visited eight wineries. We missed visiting over 100.

Enjoying a long weekend

After a beautiful drive through Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez, we stopped by the Tobin James Tasting room to start. This is a party atmosphere tasting room and we were double rewarded with tastings of some really good wines. You felt like you were in an old West saloon.

There are many wineries in Paso, and there is a great deal of experimentation, mixing wines of different kinds to create something interesting and tasty. Sometimes we felt the vinters were trying a little too much on mixing as the results were odd at best.

Vineyards in October

• Last visit to Paso Robles: Oct 2010
  • Intro Updated Jan 25, 2011

• Nov 21, 2011 at 12:06 PM

A Paso Robles wine tasting sounds like a dream! I've never actually been up to that area, but I don't really live that far away. I might have to take a look.

• MD2nd's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2011 at 2:08 AM

Enjoyed your Farmstand46 tip about organic, locally grown foods! Yes, thought the Oregon totems were amazing!

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Karl, great start on the wineries of Paso. Trust you will go back to knock off a few more. lol I knew I saw that boor and boar somewhere else. lol ;-)

Roadquill

“Vini Vici Vino and then I napped.....”

Badges & Stats in Paso Robles

Have you been to Paso Robles?