"Calabasas" Calabasas by Roadquill

Calabasas Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 47 photos

Calabasas, We Actually Have Some History

One doesn't run into archeologists unearthing Rosetta Stones here, nor any wonders of the world. Much of the architecture is faux this and dabs of that. But we do have some history. Like, well Chumash Indians use to live off the land. I would imagine eat acorns and the like. Mule deer stil sneak into our neighborhoods and eat the roses, coyotes howl at night, owls perch on chimneys and at least one mountain lion is occasionally seen.

The Leonis Adobe was built around 1844, but no one knows who built it. Well at least none of the officials at the City of Calabasas know. It was a stage coach stop for a while and supposedly some outlaws hung around here or were hung, there are several different versions of the story and an oak tree that was used for neck swings We have a short "old town" street that the City is trying to keep quaint. There is a farmer's market on Saturday morning.

Things to Do

We love taking our dogs hiking on the trails in the Santa Monica Mountains. We encounter other hikers and mountain bikers. The mountain bike trails have been set up now to pretty much transverse the entire Santa Monica Mountains from West LA to Ventura.

After a rough ride or strenous hike, you can hit the Sagebrush Cantina for cold brew and margueritas. On Sunday's the Sagebrush attracts a multitude of road bikers, choppers and the like, but it is pretty tame. Not like it was 25 years ago when it was not surprising to see fists and beer fly.

There are a number of celebs that live here. Most move in, move out, move on. Most people don't pay attention. Kind of ho-hum. One of my neighbors was part of a well known rock band. The rapper Mac 10 used to live a few doors down. No one really cares.

Bedroom Community or Rugged Mountains

Calabasas is mostly a bedroom community nestled in the Santa Monica Mountains. It also has it's rugged side. Malibu Canyon toward the ocean is simply beautiful and I get to enjoy everymorning on my way to my office.

• Pros:Pretty and safe area, 15 minutes to Malibu Beach
  • Cons:It takes a long time to get to downtown LA.
  • In a nutshell:Hello out there.... no one seems to know we are here....
  • Intro Updated May 4, 2010

• Veroali's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Such a nice place where you live. Great tips!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2010 at 9:44 AM

I was here in 1978. Nice to hear that the area is still preserved and not overrun with development. WE get deers here too eating the plants-ugh

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2008 at 12:06 AM

Hello Karl. I love reading about members' home towns and your page is no exception. Lovely tips and photos here, thanks for sharing! Greetings from the desert / Jess in Dubai

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2008 at 10:26 PM

Hi Karl, Glad to see you are back safe from the bulls and I don't mean the stock market. Larry

• Zvrlj's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2007 at 11:30 PM

Very nice home-town page :-) Greetings from Kragujevac, Serbia

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2006 at 6:31 AM

Interesting that you call this a safe area, but then go on to give warnings about rattlesnakes, brush fires and motoring deaths on the highways. Doesn't actually sound very safe to me, LOL. Or did you just mean that nobody gets mugged or murdered?

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2006 at 3:16 PM

Very quick HI! Pinched your Bush one for further distribution, enjoyed restaurant tips here, must visit your other pages. Not averse to an odd Bordeaux myself, nor a Burgundy, nor a drop on Napa Valley Merlot, nor a .........Cheers, John.

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2005 at 8:32 AM

Happy Birthday! Enjoyed your pages. See you again soon!

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2005 at 2:41 AM

Thanks for a walk down memory lane. I grew up in the SFV & frequented the Sagebrush Cantina often. Your " "warning" tips are well-founded, the snake photo took me by surprise!

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2005 at 3:40 PM

I've only heard of Calabasas recently, it looks like a lovely place ~ Helen

Roadquill Lives Here!

Roadquill

“Vini Vici Vino and then I napped.....”

Badges & Stats in Calabasas

Have you been to Calabasas?

Latest Activity in Calabasas