"Calabasas" Calabasas by Roadquill
Calabasas Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 47 photos
One doesn't run into archeologists unearthing Rosetta Stones here, nor any wonders of the world. Much of the architecture is faux this and dabs of that. But we do have some history. Like, well Chumash Indians use to live off the land. I would imagine eat acorns and the like. Mule deer stil sneak into our neighborhoods and eat the roses, coyotes howl at night, owls perch on chimneys and at least one mountain lion is occasionally seen.
The Leonis Adobe was built around 1844, but no one knows who built it. Well at least none of the officials at the City of Calabasas know. It was a stage coach stop for a while and supposedly some outlaws hung around here or were hung, there are several different versions of the story and an oak tree that was used for neck swings We have a short "old town" street that the City is trying to keep quaint. There is a farmer's market on Saturday morning.
We love taking our dogs hiking on the trails in the Santa Monica Mountains. We encounter other hikers and mountain bikers. The mountain bike trails have been set up now to pretty much transverse the entire Santa Monica Mountains from West LA to Ventura.
After a rough ride or strenous hike, you can hit the Sagebrush Cantina for cold brew and margueritas. On Sunday's the Sagebrush attracts a multitude of road bikers, choppers and the like, but it is pretty tame. Not like it was 25 years ago when it was not surprising to see fists and beer fly.
There are a number of celebs that live here. Most move in, move out, move on. Most people don't pay attention. Kind of ho-hum. One of my neighbors was part of a well known rock band. The rapper Mac 10 used to live a few doors down. No one really cares.
Calabasas is mostly a bedroom community nestled in the Santa Monica Mountains. It also has it's rugged side. Malibu Canyon toward the ocean is simply beautiful and I get to enjoy everymorning on my way to my office.
- Pros:Pretty and safe area, 15 minutes to Malibu Beach
- Cons:It takes a long time to get to downtown LA.
- In a nutshell:Hello out there.... no one seems to know we are here....
Part of a small chain (9) you can always count on a good meal at a reasonable price. Prices range from salads such as... more travel advice
Located in the El Camino Shopping Center, Chick's has been serving rotisserie chicken, roasted over a blend of... more travel advice
Roadquill's Related Pages
Calabasas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Smashing Pumpkin of a City"
- "Yubert's Calabasas Page"
- "My HOOD"
- "WORLD RANGER DAY - "The Thin Green Line" Screening"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Calabasas
- Nightlife in Calabasas
- Restaurants in Calabasas
- Shopping in Calabasas
- Warnings and Dangers in Calabasas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Calabasas
- 21 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Calabasas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calabasas
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pamplona Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 44 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 40 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carcassonne Intro, 31 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kiev Intro, 31 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos
- Vienna Intro, 29 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valencia Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues