"Tuscaloosa- THE University town" Tuscaloosa by Roadquill
Tuscaloosa Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 67 photos
Tuscaloosa has several claims to fame, the first being the University of Alabama, the 2nd being the football coach Bear Bryant and for a brief time it was the capital of Alabama. The city was all but ignored during the Civil War until several days before Lee surrendered. In those several days a Union force burned down most of the University, all of the manufacturing and businesses, including the hat manufacturing plant. I didn't realize that hats were of such strategic import during the Civil War. Maybe they were the ones you toss like Oddjob threw at James Bond in Goldfinger. Hmmm? Probably not.
Long just a university town, the city is making major efforts to revitalize the local economy. In addition to an old town walk, there is now a river walk by the Black Warrior River.
The town was named after an Indian chief named Tsuka Loosa (Warrior Black) who fought the Spanish explorers. The site was one of the few places on the river where there was a stretch of the river that could be forded.
The city seems to revolve around the college football season. The recently refurbished stadium stands out, relishes in past and current glory.
It seemed that on every main street there was a bar b que place. Nothing fancy. I was only able to enjoy the original "Dreamland", but there was Mike and Ed's on 15th, Tee's, Big John's (that could have been in Moundville).
- Pros:Nice courteous, smiling folks who always say hello
- Cons:Hot and Humid in August
- In a nutshell:BBQ
A short drive across the river is Northport, which has an artists area in its historic old town. A few hundred yards... more travel advice
In 1400 the locals built large mounds 15 miles South of Tuscaloosa, now the Moundville Archeology Park operated by the... more travel advice
Roadquill's Related Pages
Tuscaloosa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "tuscaloosa alabama"
- "Tuscaloosa- THE University town"
- "taltom's new Tuscaloosa Page"
- "bamagirle's new Tuscaloosa Page"
- "This is pretty much worthless..."
- "Tuscaloosa, Alabama"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tuscaloosa
- Hotels in Tuscaloosa
- Nightlife in Tuscaloosa
- Restaurants in Tuscaloosa
- Warnings and Dangers in Tuscaloosa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tuscaloosa
- 14 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Tuscaloosa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tuscaloosa
- Posted in Travel France Forum "Re: Good base for a family to..."
- updated a Tuscaloosa Travel Page "Tuscaloosa- THE University town"
- Commented on one of CalyssaJean's Tuscaloosa travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Selected Shots of Tuscaloosa"
- Wrote a Review Over the river to Northport in Tuscaloosa Things to Do
Photos in TuscaloosaSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pamplona Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 44 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 40 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carcassonne Intro, 31 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kiev Intro, 31 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos
- Vienna Intro, 29 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valencia Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
Latest Tuscaloosa hotel reviews
- Comfort Inn Tuscaloosa
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Tuscaloosa-University
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Fairfield Inn By Marriott Tuscaloosa
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Hotel Capstone
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Ambassador Inn & Suites Tuscaloosa
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 16, 2013
- Value Place Tuscaloosa
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013