Serra de Montserrat Things to Do Tips by Roadquill
Serra de Montserrat Things to Do: 23 reviews and 53 photos
We were quite impressed with the quality and quantity of the works exhibit in the museum. Although the Carravaggio was on loan, there were older paintings by El Greco, Tiepolo and Nino, as well as impressionist era paintings by Sargent, Pissaro and Degas, through modernist works by Picaso and Dali.
The story of the Black Virgin goes back to the Black Virgin being carved by St . Luke in 50 AD. Hidden from the Moors it was rediscovered in 880. Being to heavy to carry it was presumed the Virgin wanted to stay in Montserrat. Within 100 years there were four chapels. Due to the Black Virgin being associated with miracles, it became a sacred pilgrimage. The place was thrashed during the Napoleonic Invasion, but soon rebuilt. It can be quite a line to walk up the narrow stairs to walk next to the BV.
Located in the Monastery high above and behind the alter.
More Reviews (1)
Roadquill's Related Pages
Serra de Montserrat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MONTSERRAT MOUNTAIN"
- "Montserrat - A Day Trip from Barcelona"
- "Montserrat - beautiful mountains with monastery"
- "Sacred Montserrat"
- "In the mountains of Montserrat"
- "Hiking route 3"
- "The mysterious Holy Mountain of Catalunya"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Serra de Montserrat
- Hotels in Serra de Montserrat
- Transportation in Serra de Montserrat
- Restaurants in Serra de Montserrat
- Shopping in Serra de Montserrat
- Warnings and Dangers in Serra de Montserrat
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cheung Chau Hotels
- Sandbridge Beach Hotels
- Table Rock State Park Hotels
- Simpang Empat Hotels
- Peschiera del Garda
Badges & Stats in Serra de Montserrat
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Serra de Montserrat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Serra de Montserrat
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pamplona Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 44 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 40 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carcassonne Intro, 31 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kiev Intro, 31 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos
- Vienna Intro, 29 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valencia Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues