"On and Off the Road in Normandie" Top 5 Page for this destination Basse-Normandie by Roadquill

Basse-Normandie Travel Guide: 1,710 reviews and 5,461 photos

So much to see, so little time.

We took the morning train from Paris our of Gare St. Lazare to Caen. We set up to do a little exploring before picking up our car rental across the street from the train station. Two streets take you up up to the main town, Juin 6 being one. The castle of William the Conqueror, formerly the Bastard, is impressive. It overlooks the town center.

On to the beaches

For some reason I wasn't expecting a lot of building on the shore. As we were driving from Caen towards the beaches to check out the D-Day beaches, were were drving through suburbs and what were obviously second homes. Interspersed were monuments, old gun emplacements and museums dealing with D-Day and WW II.

Mont St. Michel

We drove quite a ways to check this out. Past towns, cities, say a lot of picturesque Normandie. But just when you think you are getting close, it is another 30 to 40 minutes to get there. But definately worth the price. We did not give ourselves a long enough time to enjoy the place. We were also there at low tide and I think it would be more impressive surrounded mostly by water.

• Last visit to Basse-Normandie: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 20, 2005

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Nice page! I had the same thoughts as you about the homes on the beach front there.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2008 at 6:26 AM

I'd have gone for the langostines too. Brings back memories of family holidays in this part of France - great place. leyle

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Fabulous & impressive photo of the church at Bayeux, Karl! In fact, your whole page makes me want to visit. :)

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2007 at 11:35 PM

Long sentence for a long tapestry. You did all the right things in the region! What an excellent Chambre d'Hote :-)

• Apr 25, 2006 at 1:45 AM

very nice tour of the d-day beach

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2005 at 10:30 AM

It must have been horrific what the allied troops went through during the D Day landings. Love the old cars at your accommodation, Great page karl (~_~)

Roadquill

“Vini Vici Vino and then I napped.....”

Badges & Stats in Basse-Normandie

Have you been to Basse-Normandie?