"On and Off the Road in Normandie" Top 5 Page for this destination Basse-Normandie by Roadquill
Basse-Normandie Travel Guide: 1,634 reviews and 5,189 photos
We took the morning train from Paris our of Gare St. Lazare to Caen. We set up to do a little exploring before picking up our car rental across the street from the train station. Two streets take you up up to the main town, Juin 6 being one. The castle of William the Conqueror, formerly the Bastard, is impressive. It overlooks the town center.
For some reason I wasn't expecting a lot of building on the shore. As we were driving from Caen towards the beaches to check out the D-Day beaches, were were drving through suburbs and what were obviously second homes. Interspersed were monuments, old gun emplacements and museums dealing with D-Day and WW II.
We drove quite a ways to check this out. Past towns, cities, say a lot of picturesque Normandie. But just when you think you are getting close, it is another 30 to 40 minutes to get there. But definately worth the price. We did not give ourselves a long enough time to enjoy the place. We were also there at low tide and I think it would be more impressive surrounded mostly by water.
Looking down at what the G.I.'s had to go through on D Day gives you a whole new sense of respect. Knowing that one of... more travel advice
Just a short walk from the Bayeux Tapistry is a quaint watermill that no longer mills. It pretty much just sits there... more travel advice
Roadquill's Related Pages
Basse-Normandie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "World War Two battlefields"
- "Normandy, a turbulent piece of Europa"
- "Islands, Tapestrys, Beaches & History"
- "The D-Day Beaches and Museums"
- "On and Off the Road in Normandie"
- "From the Vikings to the D-Day"
- "The D-Day Landing Beaches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Basse-Normandie
- Hotels in Basse-Normandie
- Transportation in Basse-Normandie
- Nightlife in Basse-Normandie
- Restaurants in Basse-Normandie
- Shopping in Basse-Normandie
- Warnings and Dangers in Basse-Normandie
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Basse-Normandie
- 14 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 26 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Basse-Normandie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Basse-Normandie
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pamplona Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 44 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 40 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carcassonne Intro, 31 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kiev Intro, 31 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos
- Vienna Intro, 29 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valencia Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
Top Basse-Normandie hotels
- Caen Hotels
- 142 Reviews - 374 Photos
- Honfleur Hotels
- 128 Reviews - 437 Photos
- Bayeux Hotels
- 183 Reviews - 522 Photos
- Mont Saint Michel Hotels
- 296 Reviews - 957 Photos
- Cherbourg Hotels
- 87 Reviews - 241 Photos
- Courseulles-sur-Mer Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 40 Photos
- Arromanches-les-Bains Hotels
- 25 Reviews - 98 Photos
- Valognes Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 18 Photos
- Deauville-les-Bains Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Creully Hotels
- 1 Review - 4 Photos
- Beuvron-en-Auge Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 48 Photos
- Lisieux Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 43 Photos
- Granville Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Barfleur Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 36 Photos
- Avranches Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 22 Photos