"On and Off the Road In Dinkelsbuhl" Top 5 Page for this destination Dinkelsbühl by Roadquill
Dinkelsbühl Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 180 photos
Had I known it would take two hours by train from Stuttgart to Alsbach and then another hour on a public bus to Dinkelsbuhl, I would have left much earlier. Unfortunately, the haze from participating in the Volksfest the night before and then watching one of the Eurocup matches caused a slight delay in getting boot to trail.
This place is best visited via car. The train/bus system works, but it takes a long time as the bus stops every 3-4 kilometers. On the plus side, there is a busy bus stop right outside the Ansbach bus station and the 805 bus to Dinkelsbuhl runs fairly frequently. Once you reach Dink (there did not seem to be any signs saying Dink), there were also not any signs pointing to the old town and the stop was fairly deserted at noon. Using time honed hunting skills I deduced where the old medieval town should be and started walking downhill toward where a river or stream should be. Alas, after a few minutes of walking there was a sign pointing to historiche. A few minutes later I was within the old walls.
Earliest records indicate settlement around 730, with fortifications and a moat in the 10th Century at the intersection of two major trading routes. It was made an Imperial Free City in 1274, which included mill rights, and cloth measuring. During the 30 Years War from 1618 to 1648 it changed hands eight times. In 1826 King Ludwig I of Bavaria issued a decree to prevent the city walls and towers from being pulled down.
- Pros:Pretty town with lots of character
- Cons:Hard to get to.
Outside the Cathedral is a historical statue of Christof von Schmidt, a writer, educator and priest born in Dink. more travel advice
ONe of the original tower and gates over looking the moat on the East side of the town is the Segringer Tor. It was... more travel advice
Roadquill's Related Pages
Dinkelsbühl Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dinkelsbuehl - a smaller and quieter Rothenburg"
- "On and Off the Road In Dinkelsbuhl"
- "Medieval Walled town with Class"
- "A Feast for Your Eyes"
- "Welcome to medieval times..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dinkelsbühl
- Hotels in Dinkelsbühl
- Transportation in Dinkelsbühl
- Restaurants in Dinkelsbühl
- Shopping in Dinkelsbühl
- Warnings and Dangers in Dinkelsbühl
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dinkelsbühl
- 14 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Dinkelsbühl?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dinkelsbühl
- updated a Dinkelsbühl Travel Page "On and Off the Road In Dinkelsbuhl"
- Posted in Travel Pamplona Forum "Re: length of time "
- Commented on one of gubbi1's Dinkelsbühl travel pages
- Wrote a Review Statue of Christof von Schmidt in Dinkelsbühl Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Statue of Christof von Schmidt"
Photos in DinkelsbühlSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pamplona Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 44 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 40 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carcassonne Intro, 31 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kiev Intro, 31 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos
- Vienna Intro, 29 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valencia Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues