"On and Off the Road in Biarritz" Top 5 Page for this destination Biarritz by Roadquill

Biarritz Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 317 photos

Biarritz - Beach Playground

After a late afternoon exploration, then dinner by the seafront I decided Biarritz is not my thing. While the wild sea, hammering the shaped rocks was awesome... and I could see that enjoying the wide expanse of the beach was a favorite pastime, along with the tide pools. However, the store fronts seemed contrived, and there was too much building out.

Rocks and waves

I arrived by bus, which drops you off conveniently by the tourist center. The tourist center is a 10 minute walk to the beach front. My hotel was a five minute walk, slightly uphill the other direction. Walking down to the beach front you pass Place Clemenceau, with a cadre of stores surrounding the pleasant square. Walking through the concrete passways, looking up at buildings designed to impress did not leave me in the mood for enjoying the beach. Once at the point there is a picturesque stone bridge to an small overlook.

Cathedral

The Cathedral is a focal point overlooking the sea.

• Pros:Pretty coastline
  • Cons:Too touristy
  • Last visit to Biarritz: Jul 2011
  • Intro Updated Sep 20, 2011

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Karl, lovely little page with brilliant photos of Biarritz. I must admit that I haven't seen much of France yet. - Merry Christmas and a happy new year 2011 to you and your family.

Roadquill

“Vini Vici Vino and then I napped.....”

Badges & Stats in Biarritz

Have you been to Biarritz?

Latest Activity in Biarritz