"On and Off the Road in Carcassonne" Top 5 Page for this destination Carcassonne by Roadquill
Carcassonne Travel Guide: 482 reviews and 1,411 photos
The photos don't do this magnificent castle justice. The castle is not only massive, in excellent shape with restoration started in the late 1800's, but also contains a small town inside the walls. Plenty of places to eat, drink and be merry as well as shop till you drop. Throw in a beautiful cathedral and an interesting castle museum and you have a full day of exploration.
Within a 20 minute drive of Carcassonne are numerous abandoned castles and abbeys. I was able to visit Saissac Castle, Lastours and the Abbey at St. Hilaire.
This chapel on rue de Verdun is used for city cultural exhibitions. In the Gothic design, contruction began in the 1860.... more travel advice
Located in Lower Town the memorial honors those that died defending France. Morts Pour La Patrie...A number of memorial... more travel advice
- See All West side of Castle at night
- This seemed to be it
- If you are a dog....
- Lower Town Fortifications
Roadquill's Related Pages
Carcassonne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Carcassonne.........town of two parts."
- "On and Off the Road in Carcassonne"
- "Carcassonne - medieval heaven"
- "About the Cathars"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carcassonne
- Hotels in Carcassonne
- Transportation in Carcassonne
- Nightlife in Carcassonne
- Restaurants in Carcassonne
- Shopping in Carcassonne
- Warnings and Dangers in Carcassonne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carcassonne
- 31 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Carcassonne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carcassonne
- Posted in Travel Tanzania Forum "Re: Tanzania vs South Africa End..."
- Commented on one of Roadquill's Carcassonne travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nice manor house in Lower Town"
- Wrote a Review La Chapelle des Dominicaines in Carcassonne Things to Do
- updated a Carcassonne Travelogue "Cathar Region - Day Trip out of Carcassonne"
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pamplona Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 44 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 40 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carcassonne Intro, 31 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kiev Intro, 31 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos
- Vienna Intro, 29 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valencia Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues