"On and Off the Road in Carcassonne" Top 5 Page for this destination Carcassonne by Roadquill

Carcassonne Travel Guide: 477 reviews and 1,389 photos

One incredible castle

The photos don't do this magnificent castle justice. The castle is not only massive, in excellent shape with restoration started in the late 1800's, but also contains a small town inside the walls. Plenty of places to eat, drink and be merry as well as shop till you drop. Throw in a beautiful cathedral and an interesting castle museum and you have a full day of exploration.

Exploring the Cathar Region

Within a 20 minute drive of Carcassonne are numerous abandoned castles and abbeys. I was able to visit Saissac Castle, Lastours and the Abbey at St. Hilaire.

• Last visit to Carcassonne: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated Nov 6, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2012 at 4:44 PM

What a lovely opening photo! The Castle looks magnificent, would lovel to see it for myself.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
      Nov 30, 2012 at 6:21 PM

It is a must see. I wasn't quite sure what to expect as I threw it in as a place to go on my way from Aix to Barcelona. I ended up spending and extra day. Cheers, Karl

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM

interesting tips, very nice castle, thanks I did not know about this nice location.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Very good page about a great place to visit. During our visit to Carcassonne we stayed at a campground in Saint Hilaire de Riez ... more than enough wine tasting for us :) Thank you for sharing!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Nice page Karl.
    I should try and explore that part of France soon myself.

Roadquill

“Vini Vici Vino and then I napped.....”

Badges & Stats in Carcassonne

Have you been to Carcassonne?