"On and Off the Road in Toulon" Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon by Roadquill

Toulon Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 334 photos

The Working Port Town with a lot to Offer

We visited Toulon as my wife and in laws' cruise ship anchored in the bay across from Toulon. We found the water taxi and headed over to Toulon, picked up a map, enjoyed the farmers market and a walk through the town.

The tourist shop provided us a free map that included several self directed walking tours by following brass plates in the streets.

The Genie de la Navigation Statue points out to sea.

Port of Toulon

The touristy area of Toulon is on the East side of the large bay. The Northern and Northeast area of the bay is mostly military as it France's primary naval yard. On the West end is Seyne sur mer, where several of the large cruise ships dock.

Museums and sites

There are several museums, most of them open on Sunday when the Liberty docks. Unfortunately, other than a few places by the farmers market, most of the stores are closed on Sundays. Some of the museums are the Naval Museum, the Musee d'Art, the Hotel des Arts and the Musée du Vieux Toulon. Or you can just enjoy sitting by the port at any one of numerous cafes and have a few drinks or a nice meal.

• Intro Updated Dec 2, 2011

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Hi Karl, I’m planning to visit Toulon next month, so I’ve been looking through your tips for ideas on what to do. Looks like a nice town.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM

French have a unique culture and this shows one of those special places. Your comments and pictures are well done

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Hi Brenda Sue, Welcome to VT....the water taxi is 2 euro one way. If you are coming in on the Liberty (I am sure there are others), you can walk along the wharf and one of the stops will be a couple of hundred yards from the ship. Or you can walk into Seyne sur mer and pick it up by the small boat docks. We didn't do the teleferic. Even though most of the stores are closed there are some open by the farmers market. Karl

• Nov 30, 2011 at 2:17 PM

could you happen to tell me prices for the water taxi, the teleferic up to Mt. Furon? Also I think our ship will be there on a Sunday in June. I have heard stores are closed. We mostly wanted to take pictures...any tips?

Roadquill

“Vini Vici Vino and then I napped.....”

Badges & Stats in Toulon