"On and Mostly Off the Road in the Highlands" Top 5 Page for this destination Highland by Roadquill
Highland Travel Guide: 1,697 reviews and 4,236 photos
After a week trekking the Highlands of Scotland, (after spending a bit of time enjoying the sun here in Malibu) is that this was a great experience. Old castles, lochs, glacier sculpted mountains, fiddles and pipes and, of course, numerous pulled pints filled our week in the Highland.
Castles like the Eilean Donan are still used in movies, such as Highlander with Sean Connery. A film crew was using the castle while we visited.
Towns we enjoyed are listed in various tips and recommendations as well as restaurants and pubs we enjoyed in the area.
We did a one week trekking tour spending two nights in Ullapool, two nights in Gairloch and then three nights on the Isle of Skye in Edinbane.
Hiking the bog. No way for a So Cal boy to prepare for this. To slog the bog is to get off any modicum of trail, and step through saturated peat, bog, grass and heather. Placing each step to minimize how wet you were going to get. You are going to get wet, it is only a question of how wet. Water proof, high top boots are a must. Fortunately, it is not that cold, at least in September.
A pulled ale is one of the basic food groups in the Highland. After every hike we were ready for a pint or two.
- Pros:Wonderful people and countryside
- Cons:Too damn wet
Not only are the pints excellent after a day of trekking through the bogs, you have the pleasure of crossing a fine,... more travel advice
Actually it could be way further back then that. North of Gairloch is spit of land that juts out into the Atlantic. We... more travel advice
Roadquill's Related Pages
Highland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My favorite part of Scotland"
- "A Journey Back Through Time"
- "From Argyll To Sutherland"
- "The Highlands - The true essence of Scotland"
- "On and Mostly Off the Road in the Highlands"
- "Highlands and Islands of Scotland"
- "The highlands - the true scotland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Highland
- Hotels in Highland
- Transportation in Highland
- Nightlife in Highland
- Restaurants in Highland
- Shopping in Highland
- Warnings and Dangers in Highland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Highland
- 21 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Highland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Highland
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 69 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pamplona Intro, 51 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 44 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 40 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carcassonne Intro, 31 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kiev Intro, 31 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos
- Vienna Intro, 29 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valencia Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues