"On and off the Road with Roadquill" Roadquill's Profile

On the Road

Welcome to my home page. After my family and friends, hitting the road is my favorite thing. I hope to post a bit about trips and experiences. Now that I have a few pages, it is starting to look like something. My Paris pages are probably the best,. I was able to visit twice in 2005, once in January for 2 days and then we took my parents for 8 days in September. This last year I was able to enjoy two new amazing cities, Vienna and Berlin.

Pamplona is my favorite. 2011 was the 6th time running with those bulls.

Are you a "Border Ho"? I am thinking I must be one. Collecting border crossings seems to have become something I must do. I must admit I had border crossing envy when George and Ekaterinberg went to Albania whilst I was in Macedonia.

2011: Skiing in Mammoth Lakes and then up in Whistler, BC so far. Portland was in February. Mammoth again. The Euromeet in Macedonia was a blast. Kudos to Valentina for a wonderful job. As I write this from my hotel balcony overlooking the Bosphorus I am thinking about travels for the rest of the year.

2010: started with several skiing trips to both Big Bear and Mammoth Lakes, and I just finished a solo tour of Prague, Vienna and then ending up at the Euromeet in Krakow. What a blast!!! And then a solo tour of Stuttgart during Volksfest and Berlin during the 20th anniversary of the reunification.

2009 included many skiing trips to Mammoth Lakes, my first semi participation in the VT Euromeet in Lisbon, with a visit to Porto and the Douro Valley. We visited Vancouver and Victoria and then in early November we explored the Grand Canyon and Sedona with our six of our close friends. And finally we headed to Germany, visited Heidelberg and then joined a dozen VT members for the annual Xmas mart VT meet in Karlsruhe.

2008 - June i visited visited Kona. It had been over 25 years since my wife and I first visited Hawaii and Kona was special. It was interesting to see the changes. Took a helicopter flight over the lava flows.

Spain again in July 2008, starting in Pamplona, then traveling down to Granada, Sevilla, Valencia, then back to Madrid.

2007 - , Maui to celebrate our close friends turning 50. I love Maui. Especially the beaches by Makena. Smaller crowds, perfect beaches, green turtles just off shore.

Scotland - September 2007 up to the Highlands for some hiking. Not quite what I expected, but very enjoyable.

I took my family to Espana for the first part of July in 2006 . Dragged the whole lot of them along. Madrid, Toledo, Pamplona, San Sebastian, Burgos.... I can still feel the vibes of Madrid, the partying and excitement of San Fermin, the taste the food in San Sebastian. Then in 2007 I flew over to Madrid from Italy and was joined by one of my long time friends. I was able to intoduce him to Senor Toro and tapas. 2008 was my fifth year of running with the bulls. Day trip to Bilbao was great.

My most memorable was my 2004 Madrid-Pamplona-San Sebastian run. 2004 was my second time to run with the bulls at the San Fermin Festival in Pamplona. I always spend a few days in Madrid to soak up the local culture. The picture (albeit a bit fuzzy) sums up the surprises you encounter when spontaneity is part of the travel. At the last minute we decided to check out Plaza Mayor in Madrid. And we get this great show. After Madrid it was up to Pamplona. If you plan early enough the one hour flight is just a few euro's more than the four hour high speed train. It is impossible to describe the 24/7 madness that is part of the San Fermin Festival. I love it. I took my 18 year old nephew and my 59 year old brother in law this year. They agreed that nothing could prepare them for the full blown fun. Or maybe I am just story telling challenged.

I thoroughly enjoyed San Sebastian. Two days was not enough to explore the city and the local interests. Been back a few times and still love it.

A Pint of Guiness in Dublin

OK. I agree. Guiness is damn fine brew. but to be honest with you all , shelling out 12 or 13 euro for a tour of the Guiness Brewery for a pint at the top of Guiness Tower is a little too much foam and not enough stout. Things I learned about Ireland and Guiness - The national drink of Ireland is Guiness. The national food also seems to be Guiness. Guiness is the first word that Irish school children learn. If you are on a street without a Guiness sign, you are no longer in Ireland.

However, the tour of the Kilmainham Gaol was well worth the time. Seeing the prison and the it's history in the Irish Revolution brings it right in your face. Very emotional.

Flagstaff, AZ - not a bad place to live at all. In fact, pretty nice. The Arizona Highway Patrol do seem to have a problem judging the speed of cars with California plates. It must be the different colors in the license plates that reflects radar differently. I am sure they are working on correcting the problem

Gratuitious Profound Poetry Section

I noted whilst comparing my VT site to other VT pages that many have notable quotes, witticisms, or poetic verse. Some are very good, creative, and provide insight to the respective virtual voyagers mind. Others are trite, banal, or just suck and provide insight to the respective virtual voyagers mind.

So here goes and please consider that I don't make a living doing this.

* * * * THE DOG BARKS * * * *
* * * * * THEREFORE I AM * * * *

* * * * * * * AWAKE * * * *

Calabasas and Proper Driving Etiquette

#2 daughter got to drive my car to the park for a picnic on the 4th of July. This is my third convertible, because there is sun most of the time, even in winter. Whether it is off to the beach or to a park for hanging around or getting some game in, this is the way to go. Of course, sometimes it is too damn hot, in the 100's.

Paris and then the Alps, January '05!

My neighbor asked me in November if I would be up for a week of skiing in the Alps in January. I said "Of Course". He wanted to meet in Geneva, but I thought that as long as I was flying 6000 miles, I would put in for a few days in Paris first. Not only did I get to see Paris in the winter, but I also got to ski at the base of the Matterhorn. Quite pumped was I.

Skiing at the base of the Matterhorn

This is a must do for anyone that skis. Not only is it impressive, but the skiing was a blast. And the weather was clear and warm as far as skiing goes. I guess we could have used a bit more fresh snow. I did not get to spend enough time in Zermatt. Kind of a good reason to go back.

When in Rome, Smell Like the Romans

There are big things in Rome.

St. Peters - BIG
Toes - BIG
Girls - CUTE
Vespa's - COOL

Current event humor section

Rumfeld was briefing Pres. Bush on the war.

"Sir, 3 Brazilian soldiers were killed yesterday"
"Oh my God" replied Bush, obviously distraught.
His staff were confused as he usually did not show concern over these kind of "statistics".
Then Bush asked "Now tell me again, how many is a brazillion?"

Lost in Translation???

Le cheval dans le bar.
Le barman dit "Pourquoi la face longue?"

• Intro Updated Nov 9, 2013

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Roadquill's Profile Photo

Roadquill

“Vini Vici Vino and then I napped.....”

Real Name