State of Rajasthan Off The Beaten Path Tips by Justin_goa Top 5 Page for this destination
State of Rajasthan Off The Beaten Path: 33 reviews and 82 photos
A painted gate
Jhunjhunu, the ancient capital of Shekhawati lies in the quiet and unhurried desert region of north Rajasthan. Named after Rao Shekhaji, the founder of the Shekhawat clan of Rajputs, this region boast some of the most beautiful towns of Rajasthan.This region has been called the' largest open art gallery in the world'. Jhunjhunu is the district head quarters and ancient capital of Shekhawati, could be the most attractive places for the tourist. It has some of the most beautiful buildings, not to be missed by its visitors.
The main places of interest in the town are - Khetri Mahal with its most unusual sophisticated architecture, the Bihariji Temple with its fine murals, Modi & Tibrewala Haveli are covered with wall paintings, the Rani Sati Temple is unique and the ancient source of water Mertani Baori(step well) and the Reservoir Ajit Sagar, are situated in the town along with Kamarudin Shah Dargah (Saint tomb). There are a number of Chhatri and Wells to be visited in the town.
Other Contact: email@example.com
view through the windscreen into the salt lake
Few kilometers off the Kuchaman city, you could feel the roughness of this terrain. Though it is still the tip of the great desert, the roughness could be felt.
You can drive through some tribal villages and then reach the sand dunes.
There are many jeeps available in the local area with 4X4 option ( which is essential). If you can give them couple of hours prior notice, whey will remove the hood of the jeep so that you can travel in an open vehicle. This will give you good opportunity for photography.
A trip usually costs 600 rupees/jeep. The trip takes about 2-3 hrs.
Ideal time is to leave by afternoon to avoid the heat. You can come back by sunset.
Usually the trip covers a drive through salt lake, a temple, an old game sanctuary ( it's nothing there but an old guest house and a waterhole). Locals say that once, there were Lions and Tigers... nothing remains now...
A brief drive through a sand dune... this is a nice spot to watch sunset...
More Reviews (16)
Justin_goa's Related Pages
State of Rajasthan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The country of kings."
- "Faces & Places of Rajasthan"
- "Land of the Rajputs"
- "A Journey across Rajasthan"
- "India's tourist state"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Rajasthan
- Hotels in State of Rajasthan
- Transportation in State of Rajasthan
- Nightlife in State of Rajasthan
- Restaurants in State of Rajasthan
- Shopping in State of Rajasthan
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Rajasthan
- See All...
Explore the World
- Syria Hotels
- Palawan Hotels
- Reed Station Hotels
- Grape Island Hotels
- Kota Kinabalu Off The Beaten Path
- Mostar Off The Beaten Path
- Africa Off The Beaten Path
- Fort Bragg Off The Beaten Path
- Whitecourt Off The Beaten Path
- 't Eilandje
- Along the Harbor
- Vanuatu Off The Beaten Path
- Wazemmes Market
- Valhalla Experimental Station
- Ludwigsburg Palace
- Cherkasy Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in State of Rajasthan
- 18 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to State of Rajasthan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Rajasthan
- Posted in Travel State of Kerala Forum "Re: About Neyyar wildlife..."
- Commented on one of RAJASTHANBYCAR's State of Rajasthan travel pages
- Wrote a Review Classic medieval heritage in State of Rajasthan Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Classic medieval heritage"
- updated a State of Rajasthan Travel Page "Land of the Rajputs"
Photos in State of RajasthanSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Kerala Intro, 88 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goa Intro, 56 reviews, 113 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udagamandalam Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Karnataka Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tamil Nadu Intro, 22 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Bangalore Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Cornwall Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Brighton Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (19)
Top State of Rajasthan hotels
- Jaipur Hotels
- 1034 Reviews - 3073 Photos
- Shimla Hotels
- 33 Reviews - 44 Photos
- Udaipur Hotels
- 460 Reviews - 1448 Photos
- Jodhpur Hotels
- 355 Reviews - 1018 Photos
- Jaisalmer Hotels
- 387 Reviews - 1375 Photos
- Ajmer Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 99 Photos
- Udaipur Hotels
- 45 Reviews - 60 Photos
- Bikaner Hotels
- 83 Reviews - 259 Photos
- Bharatpur Hotels
- 75 Reviews - 239 Photos
- Jaitaran Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Fatehpur Sikri Hotels
- 239 Reviews - 737 Photos
- Bundi Hotels
- 57 Reviews - 121 Photos
- Barmer Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 6 Photos
- Amer Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 273 Photos
- Ratangarh Hotels
- See nearby hotels